Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

The Honking Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Quig19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also could be the SKREEM module... I know that a staic charge from putting the key in and out of the cylinder (in dry cold climates) will fry this module. It is a TSB in alldata

Old 04-18-2009, 12:53 AM
grizzly bair
Default More Honking Truck

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I am also experiencing a honking truck. I too own a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500, diesel.... a couple of months ago the weather was very slushy and my truck horn just started to go off. I tried turning it off and on with the key and slightly hitting on the steering wheel (horn area) and then it would stop. Then it started to go off driving down the road and would turn off a few minutes later. Hitting on the horn area of the steering wheel didn't always work. Then, the truck horn would just start going off in the middle of the night. It was in my garage and not in any weather. After a few days of this there was nothing I could do to turn the horn off, so I disconnected the battery. Tried calling for advice but got non other than bring it in they never heard of this before. I asked if there was fuse to turn off the horn and they all said non they knew of that wouldn't turn off something else. But, hey I looked at the fuse box and found a slot named fuse and pulled it. Everything still works OK, but no horn and I found I really should have one. People have said that it my be some sort of corrosion on the horn connections. Anyway, that moderator from the James O'neil Dodge says that it has "always been the steering wheel cover/pad sticking..... If this is true, how do you remove the cover and what do you need to do to correct the problem. I can do most work as long as it doesn't involve a computer hook up. I will be greatful for any help. Need vehicle inspected next month and need that good ol horn.
Thanks,

Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 PM
grizzly bair

So, there is noone with any answers on my above post??? I am new to this and don't know if I am doing it correctly???

thanks,

Old 04-22-2009, 11:23 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Havent had the problem myself, all I could suggest is grabbing the manual (link found in the sticky @ the top of the forum) and see how to remove the steering wheel pad. Make sure both batteries are disconnected to prevent accidental deployment of the airbag.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 AM
grizzly bair

I'm sorry, but being new to all this.........what is a sticky? I can't see anything on the top of the page that looked like a link to a manual. You might have to give me a step by step. thanks for any help

Old 04-25-2009, 11:05 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

a Sticky is a thread that is always at the top of the forum, stuck up at the top so it is easy to find
the link mentioned is in the tread titled:

Sticky: CTD FAQ... Performance Reviews & DIY's HERE!

have a look... there should be 2 links to manuals at the top of the 1st post

Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 AM
grizzly bair
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 AM
grizzly bair

the above url is the page I see. I see no mention of a sticky as you mentioned. What am I doing wrong???

Old 05-23-2009, 05:32 PM
05QuadDiesel

If the shift position does not know it's in Park the horn will sound. On mine, I frequenently have to "re-engage" Park so that the shifter recognizes its in the Park position. This is one of the crappier features from Dodge. Instead of making the automatic shifter better they simply added a blarring horn to remind you to double check!

Old 05-25-2009, 04:15 AM
grizzly bair

It ended up being the steering wheel horn pad like was previously mentioned. I ended up taking it into an independent repair shop and had him replace it. I had all the info from the manual reference also from a previous post. The horn cover is directly around the air bag and I didn't want to mess with it. The repair guy said that the printouts I provided about how to disassemble and reassemble it helped a lot. Anyway thanks to the one that said it was always the horn pad and the other why provided the manual link. Got it fixed and didn't have to mess with the dealer updating my chip to make it honk if door was open when in reverse. Thanks again

Quick Reply: The Honking Truck