Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Lucas Oil Stabilizer in 6.7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 PM
CHK_ENG_LGHT
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lucas Oil Stabilizer in 6.7?

Would it be a good idea to add lucas oil stabilizer in your 6.7's every oil change interval? Since these stabilizers make your engine last longer.
Thanks!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I wouldn't, plain and simple NO! If you follow your owners manual and use the oil that meets the requirements specified and do regular oil changes, thats all you need. You could add a oil bypass filter, which will work far better then any snake oil...er I meant stabilizer.

Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com lots of good info on oils, grease and air filters.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

I would just use the oil designed for your truck. by adding too it are you improving it or messing it up? Motors aint cheap.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:02 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive used lucas in my gas engine and at my school we use it in all diesel equipment that passes through our doors. all the lucas is (in laymans terms) a thick oil additive that coats the entire internals of the engine and prevent dry start ups. helps swell the seals on older engines. never have witnessed or heard about any ill result of the lucas oil.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 AM
SpLaT
Captain

put some in a gear box mixed with gear oil as per lucas instructions, watch the oil foam up, it traps air bubbles causing the oil to foam! Compared to just straght gear oil.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Originally Posted by CHK_ENG_LGHT
Since these stabilizers make your engine last longer.
Aftermarket oil additives are a huge business, but the claims about these additives making your engine last longer are a bunch of malarkey. The oil manufacturers put a lot of time and money into blending their oils, using a proper mix of additives tailored to the base stocks. Anything you add to it is not going to improve the oil, and might make it worse.

Here is a link to a great article from a motorcycle magazine that discusses oil additives and what BS they are: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_additive.htm

Old 02-07-2009, 03:15 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpLaT
put some in a gear box mixed with gear oil as per lucas instructions, watch the oil foam up, it traps air bubbles causing the oil to foam! Compared to just straght gear oil.
ok i found the experiment on bob the oil guy's site. but i noticed he didnt measure in the rgiht amount of stabilizer into that gear display case now explain this. i run 3 quarts 10w30 castrol gtx and 1 quart lucas (ive tried this combination with different oil filters btw so we can rule out any questions about that). how come i have nice high and steady oil pressure? if that oil is becomming airated, that pressure will drop to almsot zero.

like i said, we use this in my diesel shop in cummins engines, detroit diesels, caterpillars, kuboats, new holland tractors. name it we probabally worked on it. eve gass engines. ive been using it for about 60,000 miles now. no problems, at all. if you dont want to beleive me, fine idc. everyone ahs choices.

yeah no stabilizer will perform miracles, that RESTORE sh*t is garbage. all im telling you is it defiantely prevents dry start ups, it does stick to everything on the inside of the engine, and helps swell the seals a little bit.

hell if it makes you any happier, my buddys saturn was running on a 1 1/2 quarts of oil, hes an idiot. that thing was taping and making all crazy noises. did a full change on it. threw in that lucas garabage as you think it is, no abnormal noises. if i were lying to you, id tell you to **** in that engine, and then run it.

btw, i cant explain why bu,t cummins works best rotella T 15w-40. you may want to clarify this with cummins to use in the 6.7. everyone who has the 5.9 that i know, uses rotella t. same goes for running mobil delvac 15w-40 in the detroit diesels.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:46 PM
SpLaT
Captain

If I were using a cheap motor oil I might be inclind to use a stablizer, but as Joel_MD stated its not required in todays engine oils. Working around large gensets gas compressors the likes of Cat 3303, 3306, 3412... ect if the unit is going to be down for a few months or longer we usually add resilon(sp) to the engine oil. We run the engine to get additive through out the egine before putting it to bed. Upon start up we run for a few hours and do an oil drain/change with "stock" oil, with no added additives.

Quick Reply: Lucas Oil Stabilizer in 6.7?