Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

My exhaust set ups

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My exhaust set ups

ok I figured this would be a good topic since I have had a few different setups on my truck
I'll start from stock to current

stock: ran nice fuel mileage was decent but definitely wasn't loud enough for me. the stock exhaust was on for 3-4 months

Aero turbine 4040 where stock muffler was and stock resonator: MPG was good not much better than stock power seemed the same but still wasn't loud enough. Sounded great but I thought I could gain a little more power, lower EGTs more and sound better. I ran this setup for 2 months

2 aero turbine 4040s 1 in place of the resonator and one in the stock muffler location:
This was a nice setup. I think I got a little drone in the cab but not bad this was due to the 6" tip I had on the end. I eventually put a 5" rolled tip on and it was gone The sound was great and the egts were 25 degrees lower all around. MPG was about the same as the second set up I ran. I ran this set up for 2 months. still not loud enough

all straight pipe: First thing I noticed was the loss of low end. the second thing I noticed was that the cops didn't care for it either. fuel mileage was definitely worse. ran this setup for 2 days. way too loud and it didn't sound the greatest. The cab drone was unbearable under load.

1 Aero turbine in stock muffler location: First off the sound was amazing. Loved it. It was loud but not to bad. only one or two complaints in the 1.2 years I had it on. Egts were another 25 degrees cooler than the dual aero set up. At the time I didn't realize the low end I lost from stock. fuel mileage increased from straight pipe and there was no drone in the cab. I liked this setup and would still be running it if my wife didn't have to take my truck to work once in a while and my desire to never be happy with what I got.
here are some sound clips of it
https://dodgeforum.com/forceddown...?file=0;701773
https://dodgeforum.com/forceddown...?file=1;701773
https://dodgeforum.com/forceddown...?file=2;701773

current set up. ARE 4" straight through muffler: I bought this on a whim off of ebay.

It was cheap enough were I figured I could get rid of it if I disliked the sound.
Installed it last night and it was much quieter than my single or dual AERO turbines.
First impression was that it was not loud enough. Second impression was that I got a whole lot of power back in all ranges. its like I put a 30HP chip in. While during the test drive I had the windows down so I can hear the echo off buildings and such and it sounded good. I also told myself that it is brand new and will break in and get louder.
So in summary for this setup: power increase, there will definitely be a MPG increase as I don't have to give it more skinny pedal to get going. sound is good it will get louder but but wont be any where near as loud as my AERO. I will report back when I get at least 100 miles on it. In cab noise: none existent. egts: are probably the same but no gauges to verify.

Now. I after a few hundred miles I am going to make a decision. I read some people were running a straight through muffler and putting an aero where the resonator was and seeing even better MPG and power. I am going to keep one of my AEROs and it may get installed as well.
My original plan was to run dual AEROs again but bought this muffler as a test. definitley worth the $ so far.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:20 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

I just dont understand how guys are so adamant that they lose power down low when they straight pipe it...it doesnt happen. Ive straight piped plenty of trucks. No loss.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

have you put a free flow muffler back on after driving with a straight piped truck?
Because if you asked me if I lost power I would have told you no. unless you asked me after I put my AFE muffler on.
Don't know why but it happened. it took my 20 minutes to put the muffler on and I drove it immediately afterward. definitely had better throttle response

Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

I havent put a muffler back on, no

Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Luongo#1

I had my truck straight piped for a couple of months and had the same thing, I didn't realize the low end power loss. I threw the muffler back on one day because the drone of the exhaust when you got on the go fast pedal sounded like a really bad import and it was annoying and kind of embarrassing. Once the muffler went in I could tell the difference, it wasn't huge but noticeable for sure.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 AM
High_On_Diesel
Professional

Have done both. Im with Scat...I love the sound of a straight pipe...and IF there was a loss....wouldn't know. Jus throw a programmer on it and you really wouldnt care if ya lost 10-15hp anyways....

Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Carl00723
Rookie

I have ran 1 aero turbine muffler with stacks and I love the sound and the 22mpg

Old 02-11-2009, 08:03 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by High_On_Diesel
Have done both. Im with Scat...I love the sound of a straight pipe...and IF there was a loss....wouldn't know. Jus throw a programmer on it and you really wouldnt care if ya lost 10-15hp anyways....
I had a programmer on there.

there will be an update to this thread as I just ordered a 5" kit with muffler.

Quick Reply: My exhaust set ups