Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help diagnose my smoking truck w/ Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:59 PM
65StangBoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnose my smoking truck w/ Video

Ever since it warmed up here my truck has been smoking every morning. I noticed this first at the very beginning of winter. Seems that whenever the grid heater was used it wouldn't smoke. Now that the grid heater is no longer being used, it's smoking again. I've heard that there are three possible fixes; new fuel filter, "white smoke" flash from Dodge and replacing a bad injector. I've got a new filter on the way and I'm trying to hookup with someone local with a Smarty so that I don't have to pay Dodge to flash my ECM. Assuming neither of those work I guess I'm stuck with a bad injector which would hopefully be covered by the 100,000 mile Cummins warranty. Anyways, I shot a video of it starting up this morning. It smokes and runs rough for about a minute and then smoothes out and stops smoking. It's definitely misfiring which leads me to believe that it's a bad injector. Enjoy, lets hear your thoughts.

Doesn't seem to want me to embed the YouTube video so here's the link. Nevermind, I guess it will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=munF-hEWApw

Forgot to mention that my Quadzilla is out getting upgraded to their X2 model so this truck is stock except for the intake and exhaust.

Last edited by 65StangBoy; 04-22-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:48 PM
miknwv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start off replacing the cheaper parts first.....fuel filter should be replaced first.

Rule of thumb for any diesel engine:
White/bluish smoke = fuel delivery problem.
Excessive black smoke (not on purpose) = Air delivery problem

Quick Reply: Help diagnose my smoking truck w/ Video