Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Newer Cummins Spool up and Power Brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 AM
ak_obrien
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer Cummins Spool up and Power Brake

Well here's the problem, if it is one. I have an '07 cummins. It has a bullydog pmt, straight 4' exhaust, and a S&B intake. I have an intake elbow and a boost fooler coming in the mail. And plan on more upgrades. The problem is that I can't seem to get the truck to powerbrake it just idles up a bit and sits there. And when we race it doesn't seem to spool up at the line either, just idles there and takes off slow. any help or suggestions are welcome. thank you

Old 04-25-2009, 08:45 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Stock convertor? You should be able to roast the tires on it. When you put it in gear and hold the brake on, does it pull againt the brakes and idle down, and blow smoke or a haze? Can you floor it while in gear/holding brake, and it doesnt change sound or rev up any? Does it rev up when you go from Drive into Neutral and then settle back down?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:55 PM
ak_obrien

Yeah it has a stock torque converter, if i have the brake on and i'm giving it gas it will idle up and start blowin some smoke but the tires won't move. i never tried changing drives while giving it gas.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
ak_obrien

My buddy has an '04 superduty 6.0 with a triple dog, intake, and exhaust. he'll spool up and launch off the line super hard. I usually catch up but its hard when i don't get any launch. His truck pretty much takes off like a rocket and i want mine to do that. is just a dodge thing or what

Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

No its not a Dodge thing. It runs fine on the highway though? Whats max boost your seeing? You could possibly have a boost leak. Check all your boots from the turbo to the intercooler to the intake. Since you have an intake horn, Id check there REAL good. If I sit at a light and build no boost, it smokes like a SOB then the turbo lights and its fishtailing well past the intersection...

Another possibility, probably not very likely, is your APPS. Thats what a truck was doing with the symptoms I described above, the APPS was out of wack or something.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:17 AM
ak_obrien

It builds about 42 lbs of boost at peak, i don't think its a power thing, it just doesn't launch off the line. It'll take off and spin the tires like crazy in 2 wheel drive. But the powerstroke gets me every time and it has the same stuff on it. Can you get your truck to powerbrake? cuz mine won't

Old 05-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Tikibeast

Are you saying you're trying to powerbrake in 4wd?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:39 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Torque management is probably what's holding you back. Can you turn it off or modify it with the BD?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:26 AM
ak_obrien

Originally Posted by Tikibeast
Are you saying you're trying to powerbrake in 4wd?
uhhh.. no i'm not saying i'm trying to powerbrake in 4wd... yeah...

Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 AM
ak_obrien

Originally Posted by NickBeek
Torque management is probably what's holding you back. Can you turn it off or modify it with the BD?
what's torque management? with the bully dog i haven't seen anything else i can do with it. i have the crazy larry tune on it now and it still won't powerbrake. there's also the option at download of adding low-end power and torque but that's not recommended for stock transmissions but i kinda threw all that out the window with the crazy larry. but idk what it is, either something electronic maybe or the brakes grab to hard. i don't know

Quick Reply: Newer Cummins Spool up and Power Brake