Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Truck in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:16 PM
hottrodder67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Truck in the shop

So i Am the one that has had such a fun time dealing with ATS ...AHOLES. Anyways, i was thinking today on my way to work. My truck has been suspended in the air for almost a month and a half. Is there anything that i should be worried about getting ****ed up? I know my bats will probably be dead that's a giving. but anything else i should be prepared for? Oh ya ATS is finally shipping me a tranny. what great customer service they have. Any things that i should look at before driving her away? please let me know.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 PM
High_On_Diesel
Professional

Man...I have been following your progress since the issue came up. I cant belive that ATS has screwed you around that much. I was looking into getting a tranny from them, but now I am thinking bout jus staying with my local tranny guy. He has done me right so far and I am pleased with his work. Good luck with everything man. And As long as she fires up, I dont see a reason to worry about anything going 'wrong'.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:27 PM
hottrodder67
Professional
Default Stay far far away

Whatever you do do not go to ATS. I got a call from them a week ago saying that it will cost me 2600 to get it fixed. I told them to **** off and hung up. I than called them back and asked for the manager of customer service. after being asked why 5 times i told them it was none of their business. So i talked to the manager and after telling him my story he tells me he'll call me back. Now keep in mind the past 6 weeks i have not gotten one call back from them AT ALL. So i was not going to hold my breath. But to my surprise they called me back and he wiped out everything and made me pay for just the shipping witch even that pissed me off. I will never buy anything from them again not even a t shirt do to the fact i'm afraid what it will be made from. considering their trannys are made from *HIT. So yes stay with your local guy keep the smaller guy's in business in these days they need it more than compy's like ATS.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Coal Train
All Star

What exactly happened?

Do you have a link to another thread or something?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Okay, found the thread.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...t-screwed.html

What exactly did the shop say was wrong with the trans?

What trans did you have (Stage)?

What were you doing when it gave out?

What other power adders are you running on it?

Last edited by Coal Train; 07-07-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:55 PM
hottrodder67
Professional
Red face

It was a stage 3 i only put about 20k on it when all the sudden one day i went to pass a car and when the tranny down shifted i got no power in return. When i brought it to the local shop they took it down and realized i snapped the bullet imput shaft.I do have some mods to the truck edge with attitude 90 hp injectors ats cold air intake( the only thing thats no screwed up from them) AEF air intake. I know there are some power questions but needless to say the dam thing should have lasted more than 20k. considering all i do is drive on the highway. I do not race much only when i see some dush bag in a STI with a good looking girl riding shot gun...oh they don't like black smoke that much. To wrap everything up ATS added the cherry on top. So when they sent it back to me. they did not strap it down nor put it in a case. They put it on a skid with a over size box on it. the tranny bounced around chipped paint and one broke nutral switch.nothing i can't fix here. let this thread show the true qualty and customer service thats ATS has to offer. Next tranny i put in will be from a local business. Please be free to write back with any more info.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Originally Posted by hottrodder67
It was a stage 3 i only put about 20k on it when all the sudden one day i went to pass a car and when the tranny down shifted i got no power in return. When i brought it to the local shop they took it down and realized i snapped the bullet imput shaft.I do have some mods to the truck edge with attitude 90 hp injectors ats cold air intake( the only thing thats no screwed up from them) AEF air intake. I know there are some power questions but needless to say the dam thing should have lasted more than 20k. considering all i do is drive on the highway. I do not race much only when i see some dush bag in a STI with a good looking girl riding shot gun...oh they don't like black smoke that much. To wrap everything up ATS added the cherry on top. So when they sent it back to me. they did not strap it down nor put it in a case. They put it on a skid with a over size box on it. the tranny bounced around chipped paint and one broke nutral switch.nothing i can't fix here. let this thread show the true qualty and customer service thats ATS has to offer. Next tranny i put in will be from a local business. Please be free to write back with any more info.

I'm not trying to bash you here, but ATS's warranty SPECIFICALLY says that it does not cover breakage of shafts.

Originally Posted by ATS Warranty
ATS Automatic Transmissions

ATS Automatic Transmissions carry a NEW FIVE YEAR/FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILE (5 yr/500,000 mile) warranty. This warranty shall not apply to any automatic transmission that has been improperly stored or installed. This warranty shall not apply to misapplication, improper operating conditions, accidents, or neglect. This warranty shall not apply to an automatic transmission that has been improperly repaired, maintained and/or altered by the owner or his agent/tech. This includes, but is not limited to the following:

1. ABUSE resulting in broken, fractured, or sheared shafts/gears; damaged clutch packs/bands (except as identified in уlutch Pack FailuresѠbelow).
2. Damage to the front pump due to mis-installation or misalignment of the torque converter.
3. Damaged gear train due to insufficient lubrication as a result of:
a. Low fluid level
b. Improperly serviced transmission
c. Modifications to cooler system that is not approved by ATS (i.e.: external transmission filter, restricted cooler lines)
d. Non-updated snap-in connectors in cooler lines (Dodge Specific: 94-98.5 must be upgraded to screw-in cooler lines)

ATS will not pay for any fluids replaced in the event of a transmission failure. Synthetic fluids are not covered under any circumstance. The customer is responsible for the cost of Synthetic ATF.

Most importantly, all transmission shafts are not covered by warranty on any transmission due to the capability of certain situations to cause stress-loads beyond the structural ability of the shaft.
There are too many variables that can do it, i.e........

90HP injectors + Edge turned up + dropping a gear near the top of the torque curve = possible carnage to any tranny part.

It's called shock loading and it happens. Even the best built parts break.

Again, I'm not trying to bash you, but I did say in that other thread that you need to read the warranty and see exactly what's covered.

If they did send you another tranny, they went BEYOND their written warranty.

Last edited by Coal Train; 07-08-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

I know they went beyond what the warranty say's...what the warranties does not say is that they will cycle jerk you for 6 weeks. I know the dont cover broken shafts but come on having only 20 k on it? you think that could really get messed up that much? I still will not recommend anything from ats to anybody. I don't care if they sent me a bigger tranny than what i bought the cycle jerk of everything and the way the shipped it back is BS.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 PM
High_On_Diesel
Professional

I am with Hotrodder on this one. 20k and it broke. Coal I know you are about the details bro, but that is BS. I had a mild build on mine from my local guy, and he warrantied it for 3yr/36k, which with a local shop...is a good warranty. I put 40k on it...screwed up some clutches, and he still covered all the labor and half of the parts on the damaged merchandise. I picked up the tab on the rest of the mods I had done at the time. These big companys are all about the bottom line. Move product and screw who buys'em. The small guys take better care (in some cases) of customers due to word of mouth. I know its the same ol song and dance. But you would figure a LARGE and established company like ATS would honor their products better. They know what these units are being used for...take pride, build it right, and stand behind it. More happy customers that way in the end. Even if it costs you more to keep up...your still floatin and not sinkin.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Oh I agree with ya 100%. One bad experience can send 20 potential customers packing, there's no questioning that.

But, shafts breaking is pretty common in high horse applications. A lot of folks that race leave one of those shafts as a designed in weak point..........the output shaft. This is done because it's the easiest to replace if it does break and doesn't require dropping the whole tranny, just the overdrive section (and the t-case, if you have 4wd).

I'm not defending poor customer service, not by a long shot. But.......parts break. 100K, 50K, 20K.......or right as you pull out of the shop, stuff breaks.

Personally, for transmissions, I say use SunCoast, Goerend or Garmon. What impressed me most about my SunCoast is as I was leaving, the last thing they said, was don't be easy on it, put it to the floor. And I've done it over and over and over with over 700HP running through it.

Do I expect breakage? ABSOLUTELY!

You can only cycle parts from no load to full load to no load to full load so many times before it's gonna give. Steel, even the best, has a finite life span under stress loads.

When I was having my tranny built, I told them exactly what I wanted, exactly what I had planned for the truck and what I was gonna do in the future with it. What I got was a tranny that could handle up to around 1800 lb/ft of torque, but it also cost a little more than $7K

Everything fails at one point or another. A very wise friend of mine knows how I look at breakage.......If you play, you pay.

Last edited by Coal Train; 07-14-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Truck in the shop