Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

dept of transportation check point

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:44 PM
buckskin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard they can swab inside the exhaust tip then put the swab in some type of chemical that will flash a certain result on off road diesel. I guess this way they can get around locking fuel caps. Here in Idaho it is a 12k fine.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:22 AM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by buckskin
I have heard they can swab inside the exhaust tip then put the swab in some type of chemical that will flash a certain result on off road diesel. I guess this way they can get around locking fuel caps. Here in Idaho it is a 12k fine.
wow see that's crazy 12k I have not heard about the swab but anything is possible. It would be like the tester for your pool right? but to read if their was high sulfur fuel in the exhaust?
I thought some states you have to take your truck to Emissions testing anyone have to do that? I don't I live in IL. they don't have testing for diesel or older then 1996 vehicles

Old 10-18-2009, 03:04 AM
miknwv
Veteran

Originally Posted by srountreeoo7
I've never been checked that I know of. I have heard of them checking trucks in the parking lots at sporting events if the gas cap was not a locking kind.
You could sue their *** for violation of the fourth amendment. They literally searched the vehicle without consent in that case. Sticking a hose in the fuel tank is considered a search. If anybody gets caught that way, fight it in court and the evidence can be thrown out because it was illegally obtained.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by miknwv
You could sue their *** for violation of the fourth amendment. They literally searched the vehicle without consent in that case. Sticking a hose in the fuel tank is considered a search. If anybody gets caught that way, fight it in court and the evidence can be thrown out because it was illegally obtained.
Here is their Way around the 4th amendment rights. You say no they may not search the vehicle. then they know something is wrong that you have drugs in the tank they take tow truck to yard for inspection with a court order and hold the truck or vehicle until they get a court order. probible (selling error) cause you said No to a dot inspection and for them to get a court order to search possibly has drugs in the fuel tank.
personally if I was a cop that's what I would do and say. but if they did it with out you knowing about then yes i would try to fight it in court.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:31 PM
miknwv
Veteran

thats where you gotta be careful with what you say....

"Sure officer, I don't mind at all if you search my tank. But according to law, you must first show me a warrant, then I would be glad to let you search the contents of my truck. Since the fuel tank is inside the truck, it is considered to be contents of the truck"

That way you're not saying no....so you don't give him "reasonable doubt" to search your vehicle.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Grr287
Captain

why are the fines so hefty?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:23 AM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by Grr287
why are the fines so hefty?
Well the onroad fuel is taxed and the offroad isn't (as much) off road fuel don't have the highway tax. depending on the state you live in it may have a state sales tax. since we live in IL Grr287 and we have to pay for our past gov. filling his pockets with our tax money then yeah their is a state tax on the fuel in IL.
they want you to use the on road fuel if the fine was $25. then i would run off road fuel in my truck. but I have heard about semi's getting pinched and fining them by gallon witch is very high amount in a semi but they do that to scare you into using the on road fuel

Quick Reply: dept of transportation check point