Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

5.9 vs 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:05 PM
shootingiron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 vs 6.7

Hey there

Both the lease and service contract are just about up on my '06 2500. I'm very happy with the 5.9, but and a new 2500 with a 6.7 is looking pretty good.

So I was wondering how the new and old engines stack up against each other. I'm also wondering if there have been any issues with the newer engine as I can't afford to be broke down for even a single day.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:38 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the newest 6.7's seem to be doing really well, however because of all of the emissions equiptment on the 6.7's there fuel milage took a MAJOR hit compared to the 5.9's.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:48 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never go to the 6.7L. I much rather run the 5.9L. I hate having all the extra emission stuff and electronics. the 5.9L has a reliable history, gets good fuel mileage ,you can mod the sh*t out of it, and its been around for many years. The 6.7 is to fancy for me.

Josh

Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 AM
srountreeoo7
Professional

Shootingiron, First of all welcome to the forum. I think the 6.7 is rated more power but the 5.9 is going to get better mileage but the power isnt somthing a good tuner cant solve.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:32 AM
pizzo
All Star

use it for what it is intended for and you should be ok once in a while have to load them up pretty good and run the crap out of it to burn out the dpf filter in the exhaust. if you use it for a daily driver around town then your going to have trouble within the emissions and dpf. check engine soon light will be on and it will annoy the **** out of you and you will take to dealer and dealer will test and test then you will be on here ask wtf went wrong. so if you get one and the check engine light comes on just get the trailer out put on some weight on it and pound on the skinny for a while to heat the exhaust up. It works. since your leasing it dpf delete egr delete isnt a option if you take it in then you have to put all that stuff back on before hand.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:39 PM
buckskin

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
I would never go to the 6.7L. I much rather run the 5.9L. I hate having all the extra emission stuff and electronics. the 5.9L has a reliable history, gets good fuel mileage ,you can mod the sh*t out of it, and its been around for many years. The 6.7 is to fancy for me.

Josh
I agree I wouldnt trade my 07 5.9 for a truck with the 6.7 EVER.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Coal Train
All Star

6.7 is a great motor, once you get rid of the emissions crap on it.

Get rid of that EGR and DPF and she's a happy puppy and your mileage goes right up to 16 - 17 in day to day driving, instead of the 12 - 13 with all the regen crap.

I had a customer a few weeks back with a bone stock 6.7 come in.

He left out with, in his words, "...a whole new truck"

We put on an S&B intake, deleted the DPF and EGR, added a Smarty S67ME, a set of Isspro EV2's and a steering box brace and now it's running like it should.

He called me up shortly after and said he finally got over 500 miles on a tank of fuel.

Last edited by Coal Train; 10-18-2009 at 11:48 AM.