Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Edge and Codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 PM
carisu
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge and Codes

Hey guys. Just got my truck not to long ago and it has the EGR and DPF deletes as well as the Edge chip. I have the Edge set to "Clear trouble codes on startup" but even when I wait for it to cleat the codes my check engine light comes on and "perform service" shows overhead. When I have the Edge read the codes here's what it shows:

P1507 - Crankcase filter restriction
P245C - EGR Cooler bypass control circuit low
P144E - ???
P0473 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 high

Is there anything I can do to make the CEL stay off?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Yup, you can get a Smarty S67 or an H&S XRT and turn the EGR and DPF funtions off completely.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:00 AM
carisu
Rookie

I was afraid of an expensive solution. I think i might try to make my own simulators. I think I saw a thread on here about that once.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Coal Train
All Star

You can do the simulators and they are cheap, they only run about $40, but......

The only thing they do is prevent the engine from going into Regen mode, they don't keep the CEL from being on.

You actually need to re-tune the ECM to disable the EGR and DPF functions to prevent the CEL.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:08 AM
carisu
Rookie

Ok, that makes sense. You're saying if I want to do it right and get rid of the CEL and Regen modes I need a programmer. If I know or can find someone with a Smarty or other programmer could they do it for me or do I have to have one for my own truck?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Originally Posted by carisu
Ok, that makes sense. You're saying if I want to do it right and get rid of the CEL and Regen modes I need a programmer. If I know or can find someone with a Smarty or other programmer could they do it for me or do I have to have one for my own truck?
You'd have to have your own.

The programmers are only good on one vehicle at a time.

They get VIN locked to that vehicle and aren't unlocked until it's set back to stock and then you get the CEL's again.

Personally, I recommend the Smarty S67. I just did an EGR and DPF delete on a customers 6.7 a few weeks back, and of course it throws the CEL codes, but as soon as you hit it with the S67ME program, no more CEL's.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:38 PM
carisu
Rookie

K it looks like I'm gonna get the sims so that I don't go into limp mode. I also need to replace the CCV filter then I should be good to go. I'll have to get a Smarty later when I get some more funding. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:47 PM
carisu
Rookie

Upon Further inspection of my truck at lunch, it looks like There are sims in the three exhaust sensor ports so P0473 must just be a bad connection or an incorrect resistor. I'll check the ohms on it. P1507 - obviously, I just need to change the filter (already on order). P245C - I don't have the EGR valve anymore so does anyone know of a sim for that?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Coal Train
All Star

There's really not a sim for it. It's not an on/off type connection.

It works on the 5V circuit and the voltage changes throughout based on ECM demands.

That's why you need the Smarty or the XRT to actually disable it.

Quick Reply: Edge and Codes