Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need help smoked my transmission!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 PM
reddakota34
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help smoked my transmission!!!!!

2006 dodge diesel 5.9L megacab auto, Well droped my truck off at the dodge dealer ship this morning because my transmission was slipping and wouldnt shift. Got a call later to day from them and they said it was fried. So im halling my truck monday up to mikes transmisson in dexter maine. He does all of dieselfuelsystem trucks transmissions he's sappose to be the best in maine he does all there diesel pulling trucks and bild them so they hold 1000 horsepower or more. But i need your guys help what do i need for a tranny i dont no if they guy plans on bilding mine up or ordering me one bilp up all ready i no it will be around 5,000$. the truck has 7inches of lift 37inch tires, intake, exhaust trippledog downloader with crazy larry.. I plan on pulling quit at bit this year at all the fairs and i also pull a 40ft 5thwheel that ways 15,000 pounds unloaded. and i also plan on pulling twinturbo's, injecters, fuel system, headstuds, ect ect. So i want my new tranny to be able to handle everything that i just talked about. So what do i need to do please help?

Old 12-05-2009, 10:25 PM
reddakota34
Professional

What would i need for my tranny to handle 700-800 horse, And take the abuse of alot of sledpulling and pulling a 15,000 pound 5th wheel all the time?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Real simple, a full billet tranny.

Enough tranny to do that is gonna run you between $7000 - $8000.

Last edited by Coal Train; 12-06-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:28 PM
reddakota34
Professional

Okay thanks who makes the best parts? Or just fully bilt tranny?

Old 12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Coal Train
All Star

The names that you won't go wrong with are SunCoast, Goerend and Garmon.

Just be careful who you go with, there is a HUGE difference between BUILT and RE-BUILT.

Putting a good tranny together is an art form and there aren't a lot of masters. I'll install a tranny, but I know my limits and building trannies is outside what I'll do.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:41 AM
pizzo
All Star

Well it is known that Bully dog with crazy larry is a stock transmission KILLER in its self. Let me guess you keep it on extreme when not towing????????
plus with what you wanna do with the truck its best to get the best trans you can buy so it wont fail at the wrong time
I'm saving my pennies for a built trans
I also have the triple dog with stock trans I know I'm going to blow it up

Old 12-07-2009, 03:21 PM
reddakota34
Professional

haha k thanks guys, And i hardly ever used crazylarry just to blow smoke at people once in a while lol i allways kept in on stock, dodge trannys are just junk i think...

Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM
pizzo
All Star

Well they are not junk when you have stock power. When you build a motor for your drag car do you leave the stock trans in it? I did it didn't last very long and blew at the wrong time with money on the race. Stock trans is good for a stock engine. Check that post out it give a little more detail to the trans

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...-a-2004-a.html

Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 PM
hiperf2007
Rookie

Originally Posted by pizzo
Well it is known that Bully dog with crazy larry is a stock transmission KILLER in its self. Let me guess you keep it on extreme when not towing????????
plus with what you wanna do with the truck its best to get the best trans you can buy so it wont fail at the wrong time
I'm saving my pennies for a built trans
I also have the triple dog with stock trans I know I'm going to blow it up
I don't abuse my truck at all. I have the triple dog on mine set on TOW and sometimes Performance, with the low end torque on. I treat my truck pretty good. I turn all the stuff off and put it on TOW when I tow, so I hope mine last for awhile.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 AM
dg37743

i have a 04.5 dodge cummins and if i dont put the low end torque on mine feels like its just running stock.do i need to turn off the low end torque when pulling?if i load the programmer on my truck and dont add the low end torque feels like its factory cant even really tell the diffrence from tow to extreme.i just need some advice on maybe what is going on.

Quick Reply: Need help smoked my transmission!!!!!