Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Considering a cummins. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:34 PM
GoDawgs89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a cummins. Opinions?

Ok first off, im new here. I dont have a dodge yet but I have been looking for an older cummins here recently. The only problem is, im a college kid with a 99 z71 that i could probably sell for 7-8k. The cheapest 24v cummins ive come accross are 12-13k. I would like to get a 98.5-03 24v if i could, but money may be an issue.

My question is, should i settle for an older 12v or just keep my chevy until i have the cash for the 24v?

Also, autotrader hasnt been much help, so where should i look for a used cummins?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
pizzo
All Star

Here is what i did Look around on craigslist in your area. And on ebay. Craigslist misspell the words around spell Deisel and cummins with a G and 4+4
I found my truck by spelling diesel wrong. those trucks are out their and you just have to find them.
Also when looking at Ebay Dont buy off their honestly to may horror stories. Always have a title in hand and if a loan is on the vehicle talk to the bank and have two checks cut one to him and the rest of the amount owed to the bank....

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/1498057105.html It took me 15 seconds to find that one they are asking out of your price range but still their was others on their that was diesel and 4x4

Old 12-11-2009, 09:01 AM
rodnok
Rookie

Craigslist. I found mine in Wisconsin, after looking in 5 states surrounding Michigan. 98.5 24 valve with 150,000 for $5000. I looked for 2 months finding trucks with 200,000 plus that were rusted junk. This truck came from New Mexico and has 0 rust. You just have to be patient and look at least twice a day till you find the right truck. Good Luck

Old 12-11-2009, 01:04 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there any particular reason you are set on a 24v, personally i like the 12v alot more, very cheap power mods, and very reliable, and dont have to deal with that tempermental vp44 injection pump thats on the 24v. i wouldnt consider it "setteling" to get a 12v, no downgrade there and probably cheaper, but you have to be happy with what you buy... also if you can find a 98-98.5 12v they have the newer interior, same as the 24v's, thats what i got, but can be a little hard to find

Old 12-12-2009, 12:28 PM
cerobit

I'm thinking like you. I have an '02 2500 that I'm now letting one of my technicians drive, and I'm tired of driving a small truck. Plus, I am not a fan of the VP44's, and I'd like to save some dough, so I'll look for a 98 or 98.5 12v.

Here's a link to craigslist nationwide search of 98's . Saw some real nice looking ones for 6-8K. not bad.

http://craigsnationwide.com/?cx=part....com%252F#1172

Old 12-12-2009, 10:51 PM
01ramcummins
Professional

imo, i suggest do your research on both options, i was set on the 24 valve also, but ended up getting the 12 v. i have no prob with my 12v and i love it, i "settled" for the 12 bcause of the money issue also, but, the 12 is easier to work on, easier to mod. and an all around great truck. a little slower but still an all around great truck. my recomendation is if u get a 12v, rebuild (build up/ beef up) the tranny, cause there week and cant handle the torque and like to slip, if anyone sees any flaws in what ive said, please correct me, cause i dont like to feed the wrong info, but i recomend the 12v for better mileage also. i get about 24mpg. i cut muffler and cat off and straight piped it and took the airbox off and put in a b-h-a-f, took the silencer out of the turbo. and she runs like a champ and sounds sic. again this is all my opinion.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

imo, i suggest do your research on both options, i was set on the 24 valve also, but ended up getting the 12 v. i have no prob with my 12v and i love it, i "settled" for the 12 bcause of the money issue also, but, the 12 is easier to work on, easier to mod. and an all around great truck. a little slower but still an all around great truck. my recomendation is if u get a 12v, rebuild (build up/ beef up) the tranny, cause there week and cant handle the torque and like to slip, if anyone sees any flaws in what ive said, please correct me, cause i dont like to feed the wrong info, but i recomend the 12v for better mileage also. i get about 24mpg. i cut muffler and cat off and straight piped it and took the airbox off and put in a b-h-a-f, took the silencer out of the turbo. and she runs like a champ and sounds sic. again this is all my opinion.
thats exactly what i was thinking... as far as power between the 2, the 24v may be a little quicker than the 12v when stock, but a couple quick adjustments on the 12v pump and you get a hell of alot more power fot free, as far as the trans go.. some please correct me if i am wrong, but i am almost positive 94-02 are all the same with the exseption that the 94-95 are hyd controled, and the 96-02 are electronic controled, other than that i "think" they are the same, but i only run manuals in mine...

Old 12-13-2009, 06:04 AM
01ramcummins
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
thats exactly what i was thinking... as far as power between the 2, the 24v may be a little quicker than the 12v when stock, but a couple quick adjustments on the 12v pump and you get a hell of alot more power fot free, as far as the trans go.. some please correct me if i am wrong, but i am almost positive 94-02 are all the same with the exseption that the 94-95 are hyd controled, and the 96-02 are electronic controled, other than that i "think" they are the same, but i only run manuals in mine...
i wish i had a manual, that would be so much nicer, but i like drivin my trucks with manual all the time. but i went with the auto. but none the less. i love my truck. needs little tweaks here and there, but what doesnt?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:30 AM
racer9
Veteran

Good, correct, advice here so far, including the trans issues. If you find a nice 24v in your price range, don't be completely scared away. Try to get the service info, especially if the VP44 was replaced. Look far any evidence of a tuner box being added, such as velcro strips under hood, or odd wiring "fixes". Definately get the fuel pressure checked, and add a fuel pressure gauge ASAP, before doing anything else.
Some people never have VP44 trouble, but it is an issue you need to be aware of.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:34 AM
aggie cummins

i would take a 12v... u can get 500hp out of 12v for a hole lot cheaper than a new cummins.man you can straight fog up a road with a turned up 12v.as far as injector pumps,that is just an issue you have to deal with on the older trucks.i know they are high to replace but you just got have that in the back of your mind when buying a 12v or 24v cummins..its like saying your not gona buy a powerstroke because they have weak head studs.

Quick Reply: Considering a cummins. Opinions?