Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

black diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:15 PM
High_On_Diesel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black diesel?

Was browsin thru the net and saw an article on black diesel. They use old oils...motor,gear,hydraulic to recycle filter and burn for fuel. Anyone do this or have opinions? Safety warnings or anything?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run a lot of that stuff, but my rigs are mechanical, the third gens have a completely different fuel system, we have been playing with it a little, but we arnt using very much, do to the pressures and tolorences on the common rail, but my 12 valves i run up to a 90% mix of waste oil to 10% diesel with no issues

Old 12-16-2009, 10:10 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

A 12 valve will burn anything that is combustible and liquid. I would not experiment with waste oils in my common rail engine. The injectors are VERY picky about fuel.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Cartalk2
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
i run a lot of that stuff, but my rigs are mechanical, the third gens have a completely different fuel system, we have been playing with it a little, but we arnt using very much, do to the pressures and tolorences on the common rail, but my 12 valves i run up to a 90% mix of waste oil to 10% diesel with no issues
Dodgetrucker75 -- Do you filter your drain oil or just go from crankcase to to tank?? thanks

Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 AM
srountreeoo7
Professional

You would have to filter it. otherwise you can clog up up your filters and injectors in a hurry

Old 12-22-2009, 06:17 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i get it from an engine and use a clean pan, i just pour it straight in the tank, others like hydraulic oil i filter because it can have a lot of nasty stuff in it, i have a setup with a pump and a 2 micron filter/water seperator, i run it through, and also i run the same filter on the truck ( i think stock is 10 micron) along with a fuel pressure gauge, to save money on filter changes... just wait till the pressure just starts to drop then change, i havent changed one in over a year and a half, with running all this oil, and on a side note, they claim that anything that can make it through the stock filter, the pump /injectors can handel it.

Quick Reply: black diesel?