Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Want to get a Cummins Ram, need to know what to look for...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
thralkhan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get a Cummins Ram, need to know what to look for...

I'm in the market for a Cummins Ram, preferrably a 5.9l. My question is what year should I look out for and why? Also, how are the trannys? Electrical Systems?

From what I've seen on the market, anything from 1999-2005.

I want something that runs strong and has no major malfunctions, like Ford's 6.0l, and that I can tinker with on the weekends.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 PM
pizzo
All Star

About the transmissions are O.K. as long as the engine is stock.. When you start tossing injectors, Tuners, Injection pumps, turbo's on them then you need to get a transmission...

vp44 injection pump they tend to go out. Because the lift pump failed. So if you buy a Pre 2003 it should be a VP 44 pump.. Don't let that stop you from buying one they are good motors and they are good pumps Its just that vp44 can't draw its own fuel and needs the lift pump.. once you buy a truck with a vp44 pump get fuel pressure gauge for the lift pump.

next we have common rail 5.9 Those are pretty good I own one I use it as a daily driver and tow two boats with it. I have a 2004.5... My engine has 325hp vs the 305hp for the 2004 model year..There is another Hp rating its 320 hp or 245 hp I forgot witch one it is. memory block right at the moment sorry... that their has a cp3 pump witch also has a lift pump.. but the cp3 is not as touchy about lack of fuel....its still touchy about it though.
Those you can get a nice rail pressure gauges..

Also why would you want to stick with a 5.9 why not 6.7 also
yeah its a bigger motor runs great has a little problem with emissions
All you have to do is do a DPF and EGR delete and those engines are ALIVE.

Also no matter what truck you decide to buy Gauges is a must fuel pressure, rail pressure, turbo boost pressure, a must have Pyro meter, trans temp gauge (if auto)
Dude i owned my truck since Feb. 2009 bought it with out gauges and waited to buy them and put them in BIG MISTAKE i needed them since day one.. the day i installed my Pyro gauge I took my Bully dog off the truck seen 1500 degrees on extreme setting.... not good....

Old 12-18-2009, 02:21 AM
aggie cummins

i would stick with a 5.9 bro....6.7 have alot of things to deal with if you want to put on aftermarket parts
.i have an 03 cummins pushin high 500 on the rubber and i have no problems.if i could choose one now,i would get a 2nd gen with a vp 44 hotrod and a comp box...maybe some hot sticks and a turbo upgrade.its whatever you want to do.a 6.7 is a good base line for a fast diesel but you do have to get a programmer if you want to straight pipe it because it will throw a ton of codes without it.the 6.7 still doesnt sound like a 5.9 straight pipe.my bud has gutted his and it sounds like a 5.9 with a muffler on it.the programmers are around 800 plus to delete those codes so be ready for some hefty price tags

Quick Reply: Want to get a Cummins Ram, need to know what to look for...