Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Quick question about diesel trucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:26 PM
galvanni
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about diesel trucks

I am considering purchasing a clean 2006 Mega Cab that has the 5.9 Cummins @ 65k miles. I had not been considering diesel so far, since this is a second vehicle that will be used for recreational use only e.g., camping, fishing, kayak, etc.. and I'm not concerned about fuel economy of the 5.7 - will only be driven about 5k miles per year or less. Barely any towing will be done - small catamaran. Yeah, I know - first thing comes to mind is why diesel?

Anyway, so the price is decent and it's very clean, so I've decided to consider it anyway. I have never owned a diesel but know from the past (hearing people talk about them) that they have issues starting in cold weather. How do you deal with a Ram 5.9 in cold weather? I just want to know what I'm in for if I get this?

Also, I know that stuff is going to be more expensive, but I'm not going to be doing nearly as many oil changes as most people since it's a second vehicle, but I would like to get an idea of what else I'm up against with respect to servicing this thing.

Am I crazy to be entertaining a diesel for my purposes? Would it not retain its resale value better at least? Any input appreciated.

Oh, and one other question. I am reading conflicting specs on the 5.7 that's in the Mega Cab. I've read some places that it doesn't have MDS, where articles like this state it does --> http://trucks.about.com/od/2006truck..._megacab_4.htm Can anyone verify that it does not come with MDS.

Last edited by galvanni; 12-20-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:19 PM
pizzo
All Star

Starting in winter no problem Where are you located?
if you see -40 degrees all the time then year you may have a problem.. I dont live in really cold weather I live in chicago It dont hit -40 maybe -2 degrees F
I don't have a problem starting. they have block heaters that you can plug the truck into. I only do that for quick heat in the cabin... But my truck has a grid heater that heats up the air inside the intake (the 06 mega that your looking at has the same).. Wait to start light on the dash or a yellow coil light that is the grid heater turned on. Also it will cycle on and off right after start up if it is cold enough for few Minutes....
Next is Mileage If you have a 3500 with a hemi and 3500 diesel the diesel will get better mileage while towing.
Oil change is around $60 for me to change myself... using 15w40 Shell rotella oil, oil filter and fuel filter I dont use cheap oil filters Cummins fleetgaurd and fuel filter.

Dodge gas engines I don't work on and no nothing about them

Old 12-20-2009, 06:46 PM
galvanni

I live in PA - 18 miles north of Philadelphia, so I guess you could say it doesn't get "really" cold.

Last edited by galvanni; 12-20-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
srountreeoo7
Professional

Originally Posted by galvanni
I am considering purchasing a clean 2006 Mega Cab that has the 5.9 Cummins @ 65k miles. I had not been considering diesel so far, since this is a second vehicle that will be used for recreational use only e.g., camping, fishing, kayak, etc.. and I'm not concerned about fuel economy of the 5.7 - will only be driven about 5k miles per year or less. Barely any towing will be done - small catamaran. Yeah, I know - first thing comes to mind is why diesel?

Anyway, so the price is decent and it's very clean, so I've decided to consider it anyway. I have never owned a diesel but know from the past (hearing people talk about them) that they have issues starting in cold weather. How do you deal with a Ram 5.9 in cold weather? I just want to know what I'm in for if I get this?

Also, I know that stuff is going to be more expensive, but I'm not going to be doing nearly as many oil changes as most people since it's a second vehicle, but I would like to get an idea of what else I'm up against with respect to servicing this thing.

Am I crazy to be entertaining a diesel for my purposes? Would it not retain its resale value better at least? Any input appreciated.

Oh, and one other question. I am reading conflicting specs on the 5.7 that's in the Mega Cab. I've read some places that it doesn't have MDS, where articles like this state it does --> http://trucks.about.com/od/2006truck..._megacab_4.htm Can anyone verify that it does not come with MDS.
Diesels occasionaly need some anti gell additive if your in real cold areas. A diesel will last twice as long and the 5.9 is the best cummins engine around. Lots of power for towing and easily mod'ed The resale for a diesel is higher than a gasser as well. I pay about 68 for an oil change at a local place. Fuel filter is about 18. Have the tranny checked before buying though. The tranny is the weak point on our trucks. Especially if it's been mod'ed. At 65k you should have lots of life left. It takes almost 20k just to break in the motor. Good luck!!!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:59 AM
galvanni

Thanks for the help. I suspect that even with the more expensive servicing, it won't be that bad since @ ~5-6k miles per year as a second vehicle, it's only going to need a few oil changes per year.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the tranny - did not know they were that much of a widespread problem. In that case, what's getting the tranny checked out going to do for me - I mean it's not like they're going to open it up and check it out right? At most they'll probably just look at the fluid and check to see if it's tight by manipulating it - and I would think that I could do that. I'm not saying I know what to look for, but I figure if it doesn't slip, clunk, or whine, and the fluid is bright red and not burnt smelling, then I should be OK - right?

So I guess that's the caveat with buying a Diesel Ram then - since the real reason for buying one is towing and towing spanks the transmission pretty good apparently.

I still didn't get a chance to drive it, but I drove by it again yesterday - man the mega cab is really a beast. Got a mild lift on it and some programmer - Banks Six Gun or something like that.

Thanks again. learning some new things here.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:58 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by galvanni
Thanks for the help. I suspect that even with the more expensive servicing, it won't be that bad since @ ~5-6k miles per year as a second vehicle, it's only going to need a few oil changes per year.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the tranny - did not know they were that much of a widespread problem. In that case, what's getting the tranny checked out going to do for me - I mean it's not like they're going to open it up and check it out right? At most they'll probably just look at the fluid and check to see if it's tight by manipulating it - and I would think that I could do that. I'm not saying I know what to look for, but I figure if it doesn't slip, clunk, or whine, and the fluid is bright red and not burnt smelling, then I should be OK - right?

So I guess that's the caveat with buying a Diesel Ram then - since the real reason for buying one is towing and towing spanks the transmission pretty good apparently.

I still didn't get a chance to drive it, but I drove by it again yesterday - man the mega cab is really a beast. Got a mild lift on it and some programmer - Banks Six Gun or something like that.

Thanks again. learning some new things here.
banks is a good programmer it don't stress the engine and trans like some programmers do (I.E. my bully dog) it has one of the better safety equipment for your engine..
Also If you do buy that truck you will never use it to full intent... most trucks like that are made to haul 8k or more at any given time.. As long as the trans shifts and don't surge or haunt from gear to gear and the fluid is good.. Then i think you will be ok

Also the trans fluid is ATF+4 if you change the trans fluid or add any, make sure you add the correct type.. Or if you have it changed make sure they add the correct type.. don't let them use a universal trans fluid that is ok for every make.. its not hope all this helps so if any questions hit us up Tommy

Old 12-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Sparky101

At 6800lbs the MC 1500 gets about 13-15mpg less is more realistic.No MDS is what i was told and i believe that now.Chug Chug Chug GULP..If i wanna drive it hard i can literally see the needle drop i swear.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:29 AM
nppracer

galvanny, I think your link shows mds only affects gas engines. also I have a 07 mega cab with 5.9 140,000km and no issues. I live in alberta, canada and it starts at -30 degres celcius with out being pluged in. I pulled a 32 foot goose neck loaded with 6000 lbs of pipe the other day and was happy with the power. It was -20 4x4 on full time and still over 10 mpg fully loaded. That was lots of throttle and driven in bumper deep snow. Hope you enjoy that truck as much as i do mine

Old 12-25-2009, 09:59 AM
galvanni

Yesterday, I was driving home and saw a 2006 Mega Cab that just got traded right next to my development. It had the 5.7 Hemi instead of the 5.9, so I went and test drove that one just to see what it's like with the 5.7. Is it just me or does that truck seem underpowered with the 5.7? I drove a regular quad cab 5.7 Hemi a few months ago and I don't remember it feeling like this thing did. That Mega must add a boat-load of weight. Now I'm thinking I really don't have much choice but to go with the 5.9 Cummins. I mean the thing got out of its way and up to hwy speed pretty good, but it felt like it was complaining about it and downshifting a lot when accelerating from 70 up. Other than that, that was killer truck - Laramie with DVD, Nave, leather, cap w/bellowed pass through the electric sliding rear window.

I suspect with the much increased weight of the Mega, that 5.7 can't be able to tow nearly as much as 5.7 in a quad cab config - right?

Also, I noticed a more road wandering in the lane than I've felt on other trucks I've driven so far - Fords, GMC, Tundra... Is this normal for a Mega Cab? On hwy, in some lanes that are in middle it seems to track pretty straight and two fingers holding the bottom of the wheel, but when I got into the outer lanes, I had to constantly correct - almost excessively - at least from what I'm used to in a car - I do not recall the F150, Sierra, or Tundras I drove doing this. Especially the Ford, that tracked like it was on rails.

Last edited by galvanni; 12-25-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:58 PM
lobe50

Subscribing,,,,,,,
I am also looking at buying a 2500 this week so looking for info also (Newbie to Diesel's). A 2005 2500 Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins with 109K on it from Fla. We live in RI so it was a nice to find something w/o a speck of rust on it

It has a Bully Dog Sticker on it, so I will have to find out what was done. I do see a polished Alum Intake pipe w/ a conical air cleaner, not sure if it is Bully Dog or some other setup , can't find anything like it on the web so far???

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Quick question about diesel trucks