Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

lift question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 PM
jerryb1973
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift question

Looking at buying a gently used 2006 stock 3500, 2wd, 5.9l. It looks great except the front end is seems very low. What is the least expensive kit to raise the front end and what is the down side to doing this. (I intend to pull a 36' fifth wheel and from time to time a 26' bumper pull airstream). Do all stock dodge diesels look like wedges going down the road??

Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 PM
pizzo
All Star

Do all stock dodge diesels look like wedges going down the road??
Yes they do But its not just Dodge 2wd and 4wd, Chevy 2wd and 4wd also look like wedges going down the road. It looks silly

You can look in our Vendor sections and request a quote to get the best price that Vendors here on DF have to offer... Off the top of my head prices range from 300 - 900 dollars depends on what you want. if you want springs and top of the line shocks (4) then its going to be around 900 with shipping...

If you looking for cheap they offer spacers that you install on the top of your stock spring and no shocks but you will need to buy them anyways those are around $300.. plus shipping
If it was my truck and i had the money i would install 4 new shocks and front springs around 900 or so
Also you are looking for a leveling kit.. Are you looking to install this yourself or are you having a shop install this kit?
I just gave you some examples on prices Please check out or vendor section for a more accurate pricing..
hope this helps Pizzo

Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 PM
jerryb1973
Default A newbe question

What is the difference between a lift and a level

Old 12-31-2009, 01:53 AM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by jerryb1973
What is the difference between a lift and a level
level you just get to lift the front of the truck to match the back witch is around 2 inches
lift you raise front and back of the truck 4,6,8,12 inches

Old 12-31-2009, 07:13 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Jerry,

You can get a front leveling kit for under $200 by using the polyurethane or steel spacers.

1.5" is okay on stock shocks, but if you go to 2" you really need to replace the shocks as you're getting near the limits of the OEM units.

Leveling kits do just what they say...get the front of the truck close to level with the back by eliminating the rake. Lift kits do the front and back and usually level the truck out by lifting the rear less than the front (i.e. a 4" lift would lift the front up 4" and the rear up 2")

If you have anything in particular you're looking for, just let me know and we'll get ya taken care of. We carry everything from the cheapest Daystar stuff to our own complete spring and shock replacements.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the spacers. I'd much rather do full springs and new shocks and do it right. Here is the full spring replacement kit that we put together. It's available as springs only, springs and front shock, and springs and front and rear shocks.

Name:  DoghouseLevelingKit.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  129.9 KB

Last edited by Coal Train; 12-31-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:49 AM
jerryb1973
Default Safety

All I want is basic leveling

How would:
safety
handling
mpg
towing
be affected

thanks for all the help

Old 12-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Safety - No real impact

Handling - Minor impact, slightly higher center of gravity, more leverage on the suspension components

MPG - slight decrease due to higher height and more of the under carrriage exposed

Towing - No change

If all you want is a basic leveling kit, al you need is a pair of these and a set of shocks.....

Remember, 2" or more and you need to replace the front shocks.

Quick Reply: lift question