Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

chipping a 2000 ram with 5.9 cummins

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 AM
Coal Train
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warmachine1987
Ive been doing some research about tuners extensively and what i came up with is that the smarty jr is the best bang for your buck.
Not when it comes to 2nd Gen trucks.

On 3rd Gen trucks the Smarty is the way to go, but it doesn't provide nearly the power on the 2nd Gen trucks.

On the 2nd Gen's you get a lot more out of a Quadzilla Adrenaline or Edge Comp.

Quad Adrenaline

Edge Comp

It all depends on what the goals for the truck are. If you want a bunch of power and want to do more upgrades in the future, you get something like the two I just mentioned. If you want the truck as more of a daily driver / tow rig, then you get something like an Edge EZ. If you want the all in one package to include the gauges, you go with the Juice w/ Attitude.

Juice w/ Attitude

The modules work better than the tuners do on the 2nd Gen's. Unlike the CR's where the ECM controls everything, the 24V's have a seperate computer on the VP44 the controls all the fuel functions. The stand alone modules tap into the pump to modify the fueling.

Last edited by Coal Train; 01-31-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 PM
mbrinegar57
Rookie

Originally Posted by cbgeorge
I bought my first dodge with the cummins, it has 4.10 rears, auto trans, has lots of power, but not the best on fuel. Can someone give me some info on chipping, would it give me better fuel economy and which is best chip, seen some on eebay that claims to give real high mpg and only cost 40.00, and some which has several levels and cost as high as 800$ I am sure the 40$ ones has to be a scam! any help be appreciated, and direct reply to my email be ok, cbgeorge2000 (at yahoo dot com)
yeah definatly dont buy the $40 ones off of ebay they are fake. if your looking for fuel milage i would probaly go with the edge ez

Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 PM
dennhop

Originally Posted by cbgeorge
The truck did have the tranny rebuilt with heavier duty upgraded guts, the only thing that is Dodge or "Mopar" of the tranny is the shell! It had the bigger torque converter, the guy told me it a 80 hp better converter. and the LP pump was replaced, but not the OEM dodge one, it is direct from cummins, much better LP pump. It does have the larger exhaust pipe, but the turbo and injectors are stock.
Need to get a fuel pressure gauge on the truck, quick. I'd put money that the "Cummins" LP is still not handling the demands of fuel at stock levels the way it should. If your FP drops below 10 psi, you're pump is too weak. My Airdog runs at 17 psi at idle, and right now, even with my Edge Comp on max, and my Scheid 150's, I still won't draw it down below 15 psi... The factory LP ran 9 psi at idle, and I could draw it down to 3 psi at WOT, when the truck was bone stock... Don't trust the Cummins LP.

Quick Reply: chipping a 2000 ram with 5.9 cummins