Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CP3 leak HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 PM
hottrodder67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy CP3 leak HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

So i installed a Industrial Injection cp3 pump with a dual feed this weekend. The sad news is Monday morning i woke up to a little bit of a drip of diesel and maybe oil in my driveway. I drove it about 20 miles and looked up under the undercarriage and saw oil/ disel everywhere. I brought it to the place that put it in. we found a small leak from the bottom of the pump. It looks like its leaking from where the 2pcs meet. Does anybody have any ideas what to do besides rip the pump of and send it back? looking to avoid that if possible> any advice will be help full

Old 02-03-2010, 04:21 PM
ecwrestoration@yahoo.com
Professional

Sound like the pump seal.......gotta come out!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Coal Train
All Star

I'm betting what you're gonna find is this right here. I replaced a CP3 in an '06 a few weeks back for the same thing, same type of setup.

This was from a customers truck a few months back. His pump blew the seal and took out the internals. This is what happens.....

Name:  Slide1-61.jpg
Views: 3431
Size:  121.9 KB

Name:  Slide3-37.jpg
Views: 2968
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  Slide2-61.jpg
Views: 2767
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  Slide4-20.jpg
Views: 2610
Size:  143.5 KB

Name:  PumpDamage.jpg
Views: 2315
Size:  106.4 KB

Name:  Slide5-9.jpg
Views: 2404
Size:  70.2 KB

Check the second line and make sure they installed the check ball in the fitting. If not, you'll be getting a new pump.

Last edited by Coal Train; 02-04-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

Coaltrain i did not see anything under your post. was there a picture of what the seal looks like? and is this something that i can fix with out sending it back to ID IJ?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Nope!

The seals are internal.

The pump needs to be rebuilt.

If you're not an authorized Bosch service center, they won't even sell you parts or give you the specs.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

Coaltrain you no you shi$. thank you so much for the help. I took the pump out today and sure enough the leak is right where you showed the bad seal. I put the old pump back in for now and sent the old one back to industrial. But now i have a small vibration in the truck. I did not have it when i put the new pump in. Is this vibration due to how i put the old one in? or is this something else? It just started after i put the stock pump in. theonly thing i did diffrent is i put the dual feed line into the old pump. any advice? byt the way this forum should pay your *** for all the help you give. thanks again.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Yeah, what happened was you blew the seal between the high pressure and low pressure side.

That's what blew that freeze plug, normally it blows two of them. There are 3 on your CP3.

The low pressure side is all the lube fuel for the pump. When that freeze plug blew due to the pressure, it essentially takes all the fuel that was going to the return circuit (that also lubricates and cools the pump) and blows it all over the place.

This QUICKLY destroys the pump internals and in most cases makes it so you can't even rebuild it.

Don't be surprised if Industrial Injection doesn't warranty the pump.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 AM
hottrodder67
Professional

I only had 100 miles on it. I did not touch any of the screws that had the tamper paint on them. Why would they try to screw me out of this? Do you know what would cause this vibration i'm having now after i put the old pump in?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Only thing I could think of from swapping the pump is either a - the pump gear isn't on straight, or b - when that pump came apart it may have done more damage further down the line on the fuel system (i.e. and injector).

The reason they might not warranty it is you installed the second feed line. That requires removing the fitting on the back of the pump. If that was done incorrectly and caused the damage, they won't cover it.

Do you have the pump right now?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
hottrodder67
Professional

I have my old pump on it now. i sent the new pump back to IJ . i talked to somebody out there they said they'll be abale to fix it the same day it comes in. The dual feed line was just a small nut that came off. It did not have any tamper paint on it. plus the dual feed line was from them. So you think the vibration could be coming from the pump gear not being on straight ? this kinda makes sences casue this time when my machanic and I put the pump on we did not pull back the radiator this time. We kinda had to go in on a slight angle with a impact gun to bolt the old pump back on. Now if thats the case can this do any damage driving with it like this for a couple days, till i get the new one back? what should i look damage wise before putting the new one on? is there a balnce wheel that might have gotten knocked around? thanks again man for the help.

Quick Reply: CP3 leak HELP!!!!!!!!!!!