Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

problems with 06 trucks ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:08 PM
hemislave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap power

Thanks Coal Train, I was kinda concerned when three people I know had problems and they were all 06 trucks. But like you said they were running around with the boxes turned up and making over 35 to 40 lbs of boost. Im glad noone else on the fourm or elsewhere have had too much trouble I guess its like anything else raunch on something and your gonna find the weak links.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Just to put it into perspective what these engines can handle when you build them right.....

My bottom end is bone stock. I push 72 lbs of boost through it and haven't had a single issue. It gets driven everyday, plays on the track on the weekends, tows our shop trailer, etc. It puts out 742 HP and 1492 lbs of torque........BUT, it also has approx $24K - $25K worth of engine and transmission mods. My trans alone was almost $8K. Those figures are with all the labor being done in house; if I was having the the work done by someone, you could add another 50% in labor to that number.

Making reliable power is a balancing act. Get the combination wrong and you either blow things up or you leave power on the table.

Just keep those 3 things in mind when you look at mods for your truck.

Powerful, Reliable, Cheap......you can only pick 2 of the 3.

As for knowing 3 people that all had problems; let me ask you this......

Do they all know each other?

Believe it or not, I can look at where my customers are and if they know each other, I can usually guess which ones will have what problems. The reason is that when you get a few guys that live near each other, they tend to do some of the same things and experience the same problems. It's usually because one of them doesn't have a damn clue what he's doing, but convinces the others to do the same. It's like a virus.

I have 3 customers that all live within 300 ft of each other.....they all blew they're transmissions out! Why? Because even after you tell them 1000 times that you can't run 100+ HP tunes through a stock transmissions and try to race every Mustang that pulls up next to them, they do it anyways. The outcome is inevitable.

Trust me when I say........BE CAREFUL WHO YOU LISTEN TO.

Last edited by Coal Train; 04-05-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 AM
hemislave
Default nailed it

I think you nailed it Coal Train, they do know each other, never thought of it in that way,By the way can I PM you have some questions about my own truck, If you would be so kind . thanks.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Absolutely.

Seriously though, you usually see groups of guys with the same problems.

You'll see a few guys that run together that constantly blow injectors.....most of them are running MP-8's.

Then you see guys that constantly blow turbos or blow transmissions or whatever.

There is almost ALWAYS a common denominator among the group.

Stuff breaks, it happens.....

I wish I had a nickel for every time someone has asked me something like, "Well, how cheap can I do this?"

You can go cheap NOW, but you'll be going expensive LATER.

Last edited by Coal Train; 04-06-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: problems with 06 trucks ?