Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

04 CTD Steering wheel vibration...looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM
BigbadMagnum99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 CTD Steering wheel vibration...looking for suggestions

Well....I have been fighting with a very annoying steering wheel vibration that almost puts your hand asleep its such a high rate of speed vibration. The vibration occurs at about 65-75MPH.

Things I have done to the truck: I have changed all my balljoints in the front last fall, new track bar a year ago, changed out my (rear) U-joints on my driveshaft. I had my winter tires balanced and rotated several times with no luck with this vibration. I thought it maybe a bad tire or belt seperating. But last month I placed on my summer rubber and rims had them balanced and then rotated and balanced and the damn thing vibrates the same in the steering wheel.

I am going to take a look at my front brake calipers to see if there is some play in them that maybe causing this. Also, could my steering stablizer shock be toast? I see no leaks or damage to them. What other area's should I look at to cure this annoying vibration?

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 PM
racer9
Veteran

The stabilizer may be bad, without showing a leak. Pull it and see if it moves in and out easily, if so, it's bad.
Get the truck up to vib speed, and pop it in nuetral and let the motor idle down, and see if the vib changes. That will tell you if it's motor or drivetrain related.
Seems like I heard something about a power steering pump problem.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:57 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a quick thought... i see you have aftermarket wheels, were the brake roater retaning clips removed from the wheel studs? stock wheels have reseses for them and aftermarket wheels dont, i have seen some strange things happen from thoes clips being left on with aftermarket wheels, also other possible causes: warped roaters, out of balance or bent drive shafts, bent wheel, bad u-joints

Old 04-09-2010, 11:34 PM
BigbadMagnum99

I have slipped it into neutral and it still vibrates at that speed but stops once I am out of the vibration speed. I have had the aftermarket wheels for 3 years and this was the first time this vibration has started. I did remove the retaining clips as it was an issue on another vehicle.

I will take a peek this weekend at the steering stabilizer to see if it's shot. If it's not that I am going to guess it's an unbalanced Drive shaft.

Quick Reply: 04 CTD Steering wheel vibration...looking for suggestions