Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Newbie with questions please......

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
nightwalks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with questions please......

Hello Everyone, Just bought an '05 2500 4X4 Diesel with 97k miles, in great shape and have a few questions. I am not new to diesels, but new to the Dodge/Cummings. I bought this from a dealer and don't have much history on the truck (I am tring to contact the original owner).
It has a 4" exhaust, a cat and what looks like a muffler. It has a certain harmonic-sound on the highway which is irritating....almost a (too loud) sonic roar...I know this will defeat the purpose of the exhaust, but can a quieter muffler be installed to quiet it down a bit or do I have to find the original exhaust system?
How do I know if the vehicle has been flashed/programmed? Do I need to perform a dealer scan? I don't like the shift-feel of the transmission when I accelerate hard and want to see if it's "programmer" related.
I have brand new turbo and exhaust temp gauges....where is a good placement-point for the sensors?
I get some vibration at around 65 MPH that I can feel and see in the mirror...not a lot, but enough to notice, tires are new, and frankly, it doesn't feel like a tire vibration. Any thoughts?
Do these diesels start well in the winter? I don't see a block heater cord and I thought I read they don't have glowplugs, is this true? There will be times next winter at work when it will be sitting for 12+ hours and no power available.
I am also getting some muffled clunking over bumps from what seems to be the front end area. Almost sounds like a broken sway bar bushing (isn't) but a little softer....any ideas? I really haven't gotten it on my buddy's lift yet, just needed some ideas.
Sorry for the long posting and all the questions, just like to be detailed. I appreciate your input. Thanks all......

Old 04-10-2010, 10:51 AM
4XRam

I get the same sort of harmonic exhaust tone on my stock exhaust, although it's probably not as loud as yours. I find it to be pleasing actually, just like that great diesel growling noise, turbo whining when I am accelerating (although a louder turbo whine would be nice).

As for the vibration, if the truck has 97K on it and assuming all the front end parts and u-joints are original, it's probably time for a fair amount of new parts. U-joints, ball joints, tirerod ends, track bar, control arms, or at least new control arm bushings, sway bar end link bushings, or complete end link replacement, sway bar bushings (those at least are cheap) and steering damper. Might need shocks too, and check the steering box (might need to pull it and set the bearing preload. If it leaks after tweaking, time to replace it too). I would spend the $225 also and get the steering brace.

I have 108K on my 2004.5 QC and I am going to be replacing all of this here in a month or so. Front end is shot, truck wanders all over, thunks and clunks and rattles. Feels like I have a giant rubber band up front instead of steel tie rod and drag links. It's the nature of cheap parts the factory puts on these trucks. They wear out quickly. Mine probably should have been replaced about 30-40K miles ago, I just went through a period of denial that a heavy duty truck would wear out so quickly (more disappointment than anything. I'm not rich and I waited many years to get this truck only to find how the factory cheaped out on the parts). Fixing this stuff isn't something I can just drop the money on at a whim.

I have had one u-joint replaced last summer when the truck vibrated like crazy on acceleration. I think that slight vibration you are getting is the u-joints. I had it for a while before the one joint failed, then after replacement it was very smooth for a while, but is starting to come back (and I know the remaining joints are going bad).

I started my list of parts (I keep a spreadsheet of the parts I want/need, price and URL link). I started out with certain heavy duty parts, but have since pared it back as I have had other financial obligations crop up.

To give you an idea, as it stands, I'm up to about $2700 in parts for all the stuff mentioned above, and I haven't gotten the u-joints priced yet, nor a steering box (mine needs replaced). I figure I'll be somewhere around $3300-$3500 when all is said and done, and that's with a lot of the parts not being the good, heavy duty stuff I'd like to get.

So, get those front end parts and u-joints checked out, I think you'll find a lot of it in need of replacement. Unfortunately, it's my understanding that all of the heavy duty trucks (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) are in this same boat.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:37 PM
nightwalks

Thanks for your reply, I am all too familiar with front end parts.....actually except for the minor clunking, the front end is tight and firm, steers straight and never wanders or "death wobbles" at all. I'll get it on my friend's lift, elevate the wheels and check everything....and lube it all up while I am there...and replace whatever is needed.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 PM
racer9
Veteran

You can get a muffler, or resonator from a big truck supply shop, as well as any of the makers of 4" systems for our trucks. It will be priced outrageously from a Dodge dealer.
No glow plugs, we have a grid heater which heats the incoming air. It is located right on top of the intake, at the base of the aluminum air "horn". There are 2 large electrical cables connected to it. Just wait for the "wait to start" light to go out and hit the starter.
It has a block heater, but may or may not have the cord. Look behind the oil filter on the block. In the freeze plug there is where the heater is. If no cord, get one from NAPA, or a big truck supply shop, once again MUCH cheaper than the dealer. As a matter of fact, get all motor parts from a big truck shop.
One more thing, no "G" in Cummins!!!!

Quick Reply: Newbie with questions please......