Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

AC problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010 | 09:41 AM
dawgfan
|
Rookie
Default AC problem

Just realized the other day that my AC only blows cold on the drivers side. The vents on the passenger side are blowing plenty of air, but its not cold. And the AC seems to get colder when I come to a stop. This is an 05 CTD 4x4, any suggestions before I take it in to get checked out? I'd just like to have an idea before I go get jerked around. Thanks

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:52 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Have you tried changing the settings on the mode and blend controls. (i.e. floor vents, defrosters, warm, cold, etc.)

That, too me, sounds like you have the lovely blend or mode door issue that is common in these trucks.

Sounds like it's possibly both of them.

When you turn the fan speed to high, does it get really loud?

Old 05-12-2010 | 04:45 PM
silvercorvette
Rookie

It seems kind of silly to have separate controls but the past few cars I had allowed the driver and passenger to each set a different temp. My new truck does not have it and I don't miss it but check to see if you have separate controls for driver or passenger.

Old 05-12-2010 | 09:47 PM
brettj2408
Captain

if you have seperate controls on your control head for passenger and driver you might have a mode door stuck or broken. does your blower motor get louder in recirc?
if you can check your pressures. at static (engine off) pressures they should be right at the temp of the ambient air.

Old 05-13-2010 | 09:16 AM
dawgfan
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by Coal Train
Have you tried changing the settings on the mode and blend controls. (i.e. floor vents, defrosters, warm, cold, etc.)

That, too me, sounds like you have the lovely blend or mode door issue that is common in these trucks.

Sounds like it's possibly both of them.

When you turn the fan speed to high, does it get really loud?
Yes I have tried switching it back ans forth on all settings. Yes it gets louder, and changes to all different modes as it should ie -defrost, vent, floor, etc... and it blows at different strengths as it should-low, med., high. But only cold air out the drivers side.
Is the blend door vacuum or electrically operated?

Old 05-13-2010 | 09:18 AM
dawgfan
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by silvercorvette
It seems kind of silly to have separate controls but the past few cars I had allowed the driver and passenger to each set a different temp. My new truck does not have it and I don't miss it but check to see if you have separate controls for driver or passenger.
Nope, no separate controls, unless I am just not smart enough to see it... which is possible!

Old 05-13-2010 | 09:21 AM
dawgfan
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by brettj2408
if you have seperate controls on your control head for passenger and driver you might have a mode door stuck or broken. does your blower motor get louder in recirc?
if you can check your pressures. at static (engine off) pressures they should be right at the temp of the ambient air.
No separate controls, and yes blower is louder in recirc mode, and blows colder.... but only on drivers side. Where exactly should I check pressures, you referring to the AC line pressures?

Old 05-14-2010 | 01:44 AM
pizzo
All Star

MODE doors are fun.. Are you going to do this yourself or take it to the dealer?? FYI its a big job EVERYTHING has to come out. Steering column, dashboard Everything.. Antifreeze and Freon 134A has to be removed too.. I did both mode and blend doors on my 2004.5.... IT WAS A PITA...

Old 05-14-2010 | 12:53 PM
dawgfan
|
Rookie

I hope not, going to contact the dealer I purchased it from. They advertise a 4500 mile warranty, even though they gave me no paperwork with it?

Last edited by dawgfan; 05-15-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2010 | 06:57 PM
brettj2408
Captain

we have had many mode doors fail just due to failure but we have also seen objects such as pens stuck in the mode doors shine a light in and make sure no pens or anything is lodged in there because it surely is a PITA

Quick Reply: AC problem