Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bully dog programmers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010 | 12:43 PM
weasle
|
Default Bully dog programmers

Hi all, I am looking at a bullydog powerpup trippledog downloader model number 40500. I cant find too much info on it except that it is 3 years old. I guess my questions are is it still upgradeable via the bullydog web site, does it work well for towing power and fuel economy, and other info. Bullydogs web site is "sales" with not too much reference towards this older model. I guess what I am looking for is first hand experience on this unit. I have an 04 3500 cummins. Any input anyone has would be great. The guy is asking 250 for it. I think the price is right.

Thanks
Wes

Old 05-14-2010 | 12:50 AM
pizzo
All Star

That is not upgradable via Bully dog I have one On my 2004.5 and I love it.. others tell me I am a fool for using it and to get a Smarty JR or SR..

250 not bad price... Ask him if it has Crazy larry unlocked?
also ask him if the Torque management is unlocked?
And contact bully dog ask them if they can Vin unlock the BD over the phone with you so if that guy don't turn his truck back to stock and sell you it. It will be useless to you if they can't.. But they can do it for you.. Its just how they have to do it..
The Crazy larry program is a Trans KILLER if you leave it on that and roll around ******* your truck in no time you will be replacing the trans..
The TQ management you will be required to have a BUILT trans and Billet input shafts or you will break the input shaft and that SUCKS...

The other problem My 2004.5 will hit 1500 degrees F in about 3 seconds So do you have a exhaust? factory 4 inch ok but you will need to remove the muffler... Upgraded turbo? and intake?
Yet I have a stock exhaust on my truck again (no muffler) just the resinator.. I dont have a turbo and other upgrades that go along with programmer..
Do you have Gauges... if not then I wouldn't put that on a truck with out them.. 1500 degrees you start melting stuff pistons, Turbo those parts are not cheap to buy and cost a lot to install if you don't do the work yourself..

I am speaking from what I have seen.. look at my sig.. Blue is wife's truck she drives it.. She took it my truck away from me so we can baby the trans till I can get a rebuilt one or a core and rebuild it.. I now drive her truck (blue) .. IT WONT roast the tires WTF...
If you drive crazy and roast the tires and do crazy stuff with any programmer you will burn it up fast.. its not just bully dog.. everyone of them will..
If you want to buy the programmer and Shelve it till you get other SAFETY items Gauges, Trans, Exhaust, Turbo..
shelving I mean dresser drawer or closet and not on the truck other then to see how it works.. just remember if you drive it with Extreme crazy larry every three seconds let off the throttle if you dont have gauges..

Also what is the HP rating on your Engine 325 or 305? that will tell me if its a 2004 or 2004.5 or look at the production date...

Old 05-14-2010 | 12:54 AM
pizzo
All Star

You can upgrade it but you will loose the crazy larry program.. But I have the file on my computer already so if you need it Friend me up so you can stay in contact with me.. if you do upgrade it due to federal emissions they are no longer offering crazy larry file.. so that will be deleted... But they may not have any updates for it anyways. they don't for mine... I also have the same one you're thinking about getting.. BD triple dog power pup..
Hope that helps out on making your decision
Pizzo

Old 05-15-2010 | 11:53 PM
weasle
|
Default thanks

Thanks Pizzo, That is all great stuff! I have a stock exhaust but with the cat gone. Stock muffler. I told the guy I will buy it subject to trying programming my truck and then a drive and then setting it back to stock. I looked at my valve cover and it says it makes 325 hp. So is that a 2004.5 model year? He doesnt know much about the thing. He bought it and he is pretty young I think or playing dumb so I got the model number off it and it is 40500 and another sticker says T-DOG 2.3.1 loaded and then there are some bar codes and stuff. Do those numbers tell us anything about this crazy larry package? is this the same model you have? How can you change on the fly is is always plugged into your obdII port? is your programmer the white with the black stripe down the middle or a different one?

Thanks for the help

Wes

Old 05-16-2010 | 12:53 AM
pizzo
All Star

That is the same one I have... except for T-dog 2.3.9 is what mine reads.. Yours may come with crazy larry installed.. not to sure.. Mine didn't I found the download for CL on a different site.. If that don't work for your truck its Vin locked.. before buy contact bully dog and see what it will take to unlock it.. perfectly normal IDK if everyone sees this like I do.. But its stolen out of your truck its basically useless being since its vin locked...
Changing on the fly is simple plugged into the obd II port just select witch tune you want Extreme performance or tow/economy.
highlight the tune you want and press yes then it will ask you if your sure yes again..
Now you have to Load the program first that takes about ten minutes or so.. once its loaded it on the truck you can select the tune you want....

With factory equipment exhaust Your EGT's are going to be too high if you stay in the throttle more then 2 or 3 seconds.. You will need to straight pipe or get a after market free flow muffler.. Or the BD will Kill the turbo and or pistons in the engine.. Aluminum melts at like 1350 degrees (i think) I have straight piped my truck and I see 1350 in about 3-4 seconds of full throttle.. so I have to let off or I risk damage to my engine... I normally drive in extreme Just in case a ricer wants to play.. but for the most part I baby it in extreme...
I strongly recommend that you leave it on tow economy until you get some after market parts under the hood.. I know its tempting to run extreme and have a good time.. But it will cost you tons of money in the long run the EGT's are too high with stock parts...
If you had gauges you will see what I am talking about with the EGT's.. I can not stress it enough how important it is to monitor vitals of the engine... not only the the trans is big problem too they are designed for 325 hp and 610 ft tq.. Reading the box it gives you Crazy Larry tune 120 hp and 320 tq more (not really true) that is with Upgraded Fuel systems turbo exhaust trans ect ect.. to get that amount you will need them Items too and then you might make it close to those numbers.. The numbers with all programmers is not correct.. its a round about figure...
As far as the engine you have.. Your truck is a 2004.5 and that is very important when you need engine parts.. As the injectors, and head is different.

Old 05-16-2010 | 01:07 AM
weasle
|

Thanks a lot. My plan is just to run it in tow. I have had the evolution on my old ford but we wont tell that long story. I pull a trailer all day everyday to and from work and end up using 100litres every 4 days. The onboard computer says I am getting 18L per 100km. Sorry I dont know the "proper" MPG number. I just want a little more "umph"

If the thing is vin locked then it could not "program" my truck is that correct? Also running in tow does it throw a little smoke? what is a diesel without black smoke!!!

Old 05-18-2010 | 08:52 AM
chris1970

that works out to approx. 15mpg (imp) or 13mpg (u.s)

Old 05-18-2010 | 09:44 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by chris1970
that works out to approx. 15mpg (imp) or 13mpg (u.s)
Thanks

Old 05-18-2010 | 09:53 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by weasle
Thanks a lot. My plan is just to run it in tow. I have had the evolution on my old ford but we wont tell that long story. I pull a trailer all day everyday to and from work and end up using 100litres every 4 days. The onboard computer says I am getting 18L per 100km. Sorry I dont know the "proper" MPG number. I just want a little more "umph"

If the thing is vin locked then it could not "program" my truck is that correct? Also running in tow does it throw a little smoke? what is a diesel without black smoke!!!
The over head display is telling you that your 18L per 100km.. those over head displays are not accurate.. They can not tell headwind speed or tail wind speed so, it can't really give you a good reading.. some are close though.. I have heard some guys talking its reading 18mpg and they hand calculate close to it.. I can tell you that Mine is +/- 3 mpg off if it says I am getting 21mpg I am actually getting 17.9 area..

As far as not programming your truck you are correct it won't It will say vin not matching of some sort. Then you will need to call Bully dog and get it unlocked...
Towing a trailer on tow economy is the setting you want at all times with a bully dog.. or any programmer for that matter...
If you have it on performance you will have High Egt's and cause damage..

Old 05-18-2010 | 09:55 PM
pizzo
All Star

Hey weasle Can you fix your signature to a 2004.5 Just so ppl know what engine you have.. some items are different from a 2004 and a 2004.5

Quick Reply: Bully dog programmers