Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Is diesel the right way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 PM
tuski
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is diesel the right way to go?

Hey guys, i wanted to get some input here, i do not own a diesel truck, i'm really interested in getting one, but i do not have anything to haul...So would it be a waste to get a heavy duty truck if your not going to haul anything?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Yes and no. If you do a lot of short trips and never haul or tow anything it's probably a waste and you may not be happy. On the other hand, if you travel far to work every day or want to have a hot rod truck and want the ability to haul when needed, then have at it.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Montana Hemi

I agree with the other poster. You have to decide whether or not purchasing a diesel is worth it to you based upon your needs. The cons are it's going to cost an additonal $6,000 to $8,000 up front (new or used) and you will have increased maintenance/parts costs versus a gas truck. On the plus side a diesel is going to have a better resale value and the motor is going to outlast the truck.

Last edited by Montana Hemi; 06-10-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: sentence correction
Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 PM
tuski
Professional

See my philosophy on trucks is when you need it, its there. And if you don't, then don't use it. Is there any advantages to using a diesel as a daily driver vs a gas truck?

Old 06-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Otis30
Rookie

Significantly more power, significantly better fuel mileage, significantly tougher/longer lasting components.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:47 PM
tuski
Professional

Originally Posted by Otis30
Significantly more power, significantly better fuel mileage, significantly tougher/longer lasting components.
That's exactly what i was thinking.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:12 PM
NB64

I did the same thing in 2004 with the cummins 600. I had never driven a diesel. I have to admit at first I thought I made a hugh mistake. The truck drives nothing like a gas truck. But in no time at all I learned to loved the diesel. I had that truck for 5 years. No diesel for the past two years until last night. I cetainly miss the turbo whistle that seems to be lacking on this new truck. My wife tried to get me to buy the hemi. We going to tow a 7K Travel trail soon which is nothing. But I told her diesel or nothing....Luckily she really wants that camper....

Old 06-11-2010, 07:09 PM
tuski
Professional

Haha Im happy that u got a new diesel, I really want one of those. That's what I'm debating, a new 4th gen diesel, or go with a loaded half ton.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Clif Kincaid

I own a 06 megacab hemi.It gets about 14-15 hwy"granpa foot"about 9-10 towing my 3500lb bass boat.I have already got my wants set at the dealers for the 5.9l diesel.There is so much info on this site,sure wish I would have seen it sooner"before the hemi purchase"Gas trucks suck gAss.Cant wait till I get my new diesel.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:13 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

tuski, the 6.7 trucks stock will not get the same mileage as the 5.9 does. Now if you live some where that does not have emissions checks and have the coin to do the mods, they can get good mileage too. FYI......

Quick Reply: Is diesel the right way to go?