Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

cheap good power ideas help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
01ramcummins
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap good power ideas help.

hey everyone, its been awhile. but i am still in search of some somewhat cheap hop ups for my 96 2500 diesel, its the old 12 valve. i have my exahust cutoff so its straight piped, soon to be stacked in the bed. and i have a large air filter on it. but thats about it. someone said somethin about gettin more boost outa the turbo but i guess i need more fuel before more boost correct? so i wanna get the fuel plate but if anyone can let me know what else i can do for a little more power. i need power. its got some ***** rite now but i want some guts and *****. lol please hit me up and let me know. please. all the help i can get would be awsome.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have gauges in it? at least a boost and egt gauges are needed, then i can tell you what to do, DONT buy a fuel plate, i can tell you how to do it your self, if you have the capabilities

Old 06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
01ramcummins
Professional

no gauges yet. but soon. boost and exhaust, what else should i get? i need as much info as possible. where to hook up the gauges and whatever else kind of power i can get. i like cheap ideas. lol as long as they are not ideas that are gonna screw up the truck?

Old 06-15-2010, 04:58 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

if you have an auto trans, a temp gauge for it is a good idea, the pump adjustments wont screw up the truck, and are no different than what the companies sell, but if you have an auto trans, a torque converter and valve body are almost nessasarry, the stock auto wont handel much more power or abuse, a manual clutch will hold a little more but will start slipping at some point. how much do you want out of it? and what do you want to do with it, (daily driver, tow vehical, ect?)

Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 PM
YAMAHARIDER5
Professional

I agree dont buy a fuel plate you can grind your own. And guages are a must if your gonna play the pump. You can adjust the anaroid and plug the boost line running to anaroid so the turbo will build more boost just dont boost the stock hx35 more than 35psi i think the max on it is 40 psi so 35 is safe. But like he said if its an auto trans a torque converter and upgraded valve body are needed.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:33 AM
01ramcummins
Professional

well. i tow a boat and toy hauler, but i want power, i wanna smoke the **** outa people, i wanna be able to have some speed also. i like being able to get off the line quik. but i know the stock auto wont handle much more power. so i need to get it rebuilt but i just want the power. and i want it now. lol ok so questions. wats an anaroid? and how do you plug the boost line? i also kinda just wanna make sure i can do most of the work. so im goin to need lots of help and descriptions or where i can find how to do it. i know my stuff. but i need pictures and descriptions. im not good at reading how-tos. thanks for hangin in there with me guys. thanks alot.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Always remember the 3 rules of modifications......

You can have it cheap, powerful & reliable.....you only get two of those three at any one time.

Be careful how cheap you try to go. Going cheap can make things expensive.

Just my .02.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:39 PM
01ramcummins
Professional

yea. i dnt like goin cheap but its wat i can afford right now and as far as im going, for the rest of my life. lol. i would love to afford what your doin coal train. but thats never going to happen. california is f'd up rite now and noone here is able to live like we used to. you all know that the 12v's are pretty slow. id just like to keep up. know what i mean? a good 200-210 hp would be cool. but i bet im asking to much? but all help is appreciated. used parts are always welcome too.lol if thats even possible? thanks again everyone. and your truck is lookin amazing coal train.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Coal Train
All Star

You're asking for way too much.

200 - 210 HP will cost ya some bucks.

Certainly not doing it on stock injectors, stock turbo, stock pump, stock tranny.

40 - 70 HP is doable and realiable.

Fuel plate, gov spring kit, adjustable boost elbow, intake and exhaust and you MIGHT get yourself a usable 100 HP.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:23 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

get the gauges in there first, then you can start playen around, the aneroid aka "afc" (air fuel control) is adjustable under the plug on the top of it, spin the starwheel foward and it will give more bottom end smoke and power along with loosening the mounting screws and moving the whole afc housing forard, then you can go after the fuel plate,(under the afc) you can loosen it and slide it foward for starters, then if you want more just grind off a little bit at a time untill you get it where you want it, dont plug the line to the afc, you do need that, you can plug the line to the wastegate on the turbo, but if you start getting over 35 psi, you need to get an adjustable boost elbow to limit it, after 35psi, the stock turbo is out of its map range, and just starts pumping very hot air, and danger of exploding, a 3k gov spring set up is also a very good mod, and there are many more from there

Quick Reply: cheap good power ideas help.