Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

wobbling front end...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 AM
gorsuchcaravan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wobbling front end...

Hey folks, my dad has a 2006 2500 megacab CTD 4wd, after putting new tires on his truck back in march he began to get a slight wobble, he returned to the dealer, they rotated the tires and rebalanced, but still had wobble, they then replaced the tires with a whole new set, and it seemed a little better. He then went and got a front end alignment but no relief of the wobble. He took it to the dealer and they claim they don't feel anything but state that he may have a u-joint going and it would cost hime 600 bucks to replace it. My question is could the track bar be creating his wobble?? i haven't driven the truck and all he can say is that its a wobble...any thoughts would be great.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:38 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

worn tracbar bushings will cause a wobble, I would go back to the alignment though and look to make sure the caster is set to ~5.15 or greater... this will make the front end track better and reduce the chance of a death wobble experience.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:06 AM
bbeamer

Check those alignment settings as previously noted and then check the track bar and steering stabilizer. Its easy to see any track bar movement from underneath with someone else moving the steering wheel back and forth.

Does the wobble happen all by itself at highway speeds or does something else cause it?

Old 09-26-2010, 06:53 AM
gorsuchcaravan
Amateur

it seems to happen by itself but does get worse with increased speeds..usually at about 40 and above, and since we live in PA, the roads are not the best back where i am from so its usually harder on the suspensions.

Quick Reply: wobbling front end...