Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Finally modding after 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 PM
miknwv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the airdog II raptor installed now....i havent seen any difference at all in power, so i'm probably gonna go with a programmer now to see what difference that makes....i'm most likely going to get a smarty but can't find one with a built-in gauge system.

from what my mechanic told me, the airdog II raptor was much easier to install than all of the regular airdogs hes done, took him about 3 less hours too

Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, let's talk about your fuel system a second...

The VP44 injection pump is lubricated and cooled by diesel fuel. In order for the lubrication and cooling effects to work properly, your lift pump MUST supply a sufficient volume of fuel above and beyond what your motor consumes. That extra fuel takes the heat away and returns it to the fuel tank.

When your lift pump starts giving out, or if you're burning more fuel than the lift pump can provide, your VP44 has to suck the fuel from the tank, which increases load/heat, and it burns out.

Even if you install an AirDog or FASS at this point, your VP44 has already been damaged and is a time bomb waiting to leave you stranded on the side of the road. I would wager this is where you are right now.

If I were you, I'd get a high pressure fuel gauge on your truck and see if your VP44 is cranking out enough pressure. From the sounds of it though, you're going to be buying an injection pump soon anyway.

I'd hold off on the programmer or adding power - I know that sucks, but unless you've got the coin to drop on a programmer/mods AND the new injection pump when it quits, you're going to put yourself in a world of hurt.

Figure out what's going on with your fuel system first, fix that, then start thinking about upgrades. You might want to look into getting a hot-rod VP44 now, then building the rest of your mods around that.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
miknwv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i've pretty much accepted the fact that the VP44 needs replaced....i can get the pump and the labor for under $1500 and taxes just came in so I should be ok there....

as soon as the airdog was installed and i found that it didnt add power or even a little bit of smoke, thats when I realized the VP44 was messed up...so its only a matter of time now lol

Quick Reply: Finally modding after 3 years