Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bad Injector-shut down motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:43 PM
DIRTYRAMIN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Injector-shut down motor?

I got a 06 that has been in a diesel shop since mid November. The truck died on way up to hunting camp, far from home, in a huge cloud of white smoke while running down highway. Acted like someone shut off fuel to engine and it just free-wheeled to a stop. The truck started giving problems in morning, normal idle but no power then went to rough idle and no power. I got it to clear up a few times and then run with normal power for a while. Later it wouldnt start without the help of starting fluid. Then she made it a half-hour till it quite with a huge plume of white smoke and would not run or start again. So I am thinking an injector went bad, will this also shut down the fuel delivery on the engine? The mechanic said the fuel lines were full of air and foamy fuel so he changed the FCM and put a new injection pump on with no luck on getting it to fire but he said he finally had good fuel pressure. A code showed #3 injector problem. Anybody got any insight? Boe

Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 PM
98Dakota
Rookie

usualliy white smoke means unburned fuel but i am sure someone that knows more than me will comment tonight..

Old 12-29-2010, 06:24 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jeezzz, what kind of a yaho are you letting work on your truck??? 2 months, a pile of $$$ and no results, i really hope you are not paying for all that! some one that just throughs parts at something hopeing it will fix itself with out proper diagnostics, should not be a mechinc, there are much quicker, eaiser, and most of all, cheaper ways to work on things....

sorry for the rant, white smoke is one of two things, a lack of fuel, or worstcase steam, which would be coming from antifreez, tho unlikely...

chances are its a fuel issue, a bad injector could cause this issue as well as a 100 other things, if its throughing a code, pull it and get it tested, i have seen a few times where fuel with water contamination, blow the injector nozzle clear off, check all codes, and get a good fuel pressure reading...

Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 PM
98Dakota
Rookie

Justin i was told that in most cases white smoke means unburned fuel?? just checking to see if that is wrong ....i do see how water would cause it ...but i was always taught black is fuel and white is lack of fuel or water?? just reading and trying to learn like everyone else..Thanks Keith

Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Dakota
Justin i was told that in most cases white smoke means unburned fuel?? just checking to see if that is wrong ....i do see how water would cause it ...but i was always taught black is fuel and white is lack of fuel or water?? just reading and trying to learn like everyone else..Thanks Keith
ya, i guess its all on how you look at it, black or white fuel smoke are both unburned fuel, black is over fueling, and white ... the best way i think can explain it is, it doesnt have enough fuel in the cylinder to get hot enough to make a complete burn... if that makes any sence, sorry, i know how it works but i have a difficult time tring to explain things

Old 12-30-2010, 12:39 AM
98Dakota
Rookie

i get ya now Justin thanks for getting back to me ...

Quick Reply: Bad Injector-shut down motor?