Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

need info on 2011 ram diesel trucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ratings aren't everything. I'd rather buy the worst rated if it was the best engine, any day of the week. Sure, it's got problems when stock, but they're easy to get rid of. Ford has gone through how many different engines lately? 7.3 was a decent low-output engine, but the 6.0 was a turd, the 6.4 not much better, and now they're onto a new 6.7 - how long until the real world testing delivers the truth on this one? It might be great, but it might be another 6.0... Chevy seems to have gone through a ton of changes too - LMM LYY LUV SUX BLAH BLAH BLAH... Obviously something wasn't working or they wouldn't have engine life cycles shorter than the truck design cycles. How long was the 350 around? Decades... Cummins ran with the 5.9 through 3 body styles and had a few changes - 12-24 valve, common rail, and now they've got the 6.7.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Brian10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sking;2377241[B
]Let me type it so you can understand . 2012-13 NEW Cummins has a NEW system that is supposed to rid the EGR and DPF without using urea on the 2500&3500 trucks.[/b] It will also have 175 more HP, but all this is just hearsay at this point. You say the kinks are worked out but if you call adding twice as much fuel to TRY and clean the DPF good luck with that. If you read on other diesel forums you will find all the problems that still exist on the 2010-11 trucks along with a few more. As for the deletes of the EGR and DPF you will also find on other forums, owners in shock because their truck wont pass inspection and some that have been fined for removing them. As for the worst rated diesel (2010-11 6.7) the reports are all over the magazines since the heads up testing has been reported in. They are as follows 1 Chevy 2 Ford 3 Dodge, so being there are only 3 players in the diesel truck market that makes the 6.7 the worst rated.
Now, for your first clarification:
Supposed to is not a corrected "problem"... sir it is HYPOTHETICAL. 175 HP is ridiculous and more HP equals more $$ for fuel and R&D. Also, a dang truck DRW or SRW can only stop so many pounds. Point being... I don't care if you can tow KING KONG, if you can't stop it what good is it? Thus, we have laws that regulate weights SRW and DWR vehicles can pull.

Secondly:
Who in the He** adds twice as much diesel? I sure don't and my truck is doing just fine? I must have got a one in a million? Again I am getting on avg 17-18.5 mpg. So you mean w/ out the DPF EGR I should be getting 34-37 mpg... HMMMMMMMM?

Thirdly:
Let me type it so you can understand it... By 2012 and 13 they (after MKT producers) will have a system that will allow one too remove/bypass the DPF EGR issue. If you wanna play the emmissions game you better be willing to pay!

Lastly:
As for the worst rated... I can attest that I have driven in a 2010 3500 Cheverolet DRW and hauled a nice little load with it. We averaged around 9-10 MPG from GA all the way to TX and back. I spoke with a man at a cattle auction who had a 2010 FORD w/ 78K on it and said he was going back too the DODGE. The hype about the power and all the amenities proved too be less than desireable too him. Wasn't DODGE the MOTOR TREND TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2010??????

THIS IS FOR THE 2010... WHICH I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!!
2010 Motor Trend Truck of the Year: Ram Heavy Duty

Star Power: The Hardest-Working Truck in Tow Business
From the December, 2009 issue of Motor Trend
/ By Allyson Harwood
/ Photography by Julia LaPalme

|

Despite the effects of the Great Recession on personal-use truck sales, there is still demand for pickups ready to do hard work. The heavy-duty truck market has gotten smaller, but the guys who buy those pickups are fiercely loyal to the segment-they need the extreme capability these hard-working haulers provide. Some may wonder why anyone would own a truck that can tow nearly 20,000 pounds, but for a lot of people in construction, those who transport vehicles or goods, and those with ranches, this is just a part of everyday life.

Within the next few months, the heavy-duty category will heat up, as all three manufacturers have all-new offerings coming. The Ram Heavy Duty is the first to market, and it's already ahead of the game. When Ford and GM's all-new heavy-dutys come out, both new diesel engines are going to require urea injection to meet emissions requirements that take effect January 2010. The Ram Heavy Duty's Cummins inline-six turbodiesel, which puts out an impressive 350 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque, met those requirements -- without urea -- over a year ago.

Instead, the Ram 2500 and 3500 use a NOx adsorber with precious metals that convert the NOx into inert gases. Not only does this mean the Ram's emissions and exhaust systems are less complex than those in the upcoming Ford Super Duty and Silverado/Sierra HD (which could improve reliability and help keep maintenance costs down), it also means that, at the dealership, the Ram will very likely have a price advantage over its competitors. And while in this size category diesel is king, there are plenty of heavy-duty truck buyers who prefer gas power. The 5.7-liter Hemi, the Ram's base engine, has the most horsepower (383) and torque (400 pound-feet) of any V-8 in its class -- and only the Ford Super Duty's V-10 has more torque than the Hemi, but it still has less horsepower.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...#ixzz1AjmYEqOY

I am not looking too argue.. I am just merely stating MY experience with the truck.

I like the New FORD (EXCEPT THE PRICE TAG), however I feel that if your gonna really work a truck, the DODGE is the way too go (FORD SECOND). If people buy these trucks and use them for what they are intended for I don't feel we would have many of the issues that we do (mechanically).

Last edited by Brian10; 01-11-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are already DPF/EGR deletes out there.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:57 PM
keith427
Amateur

I bought my 2010 2500 megacab 4x4 with standard trans in May and have 23,000 miles on it. It has averaged 15-18 mpg with absolutely no babying. I have nothing to complain about in this truck.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

The Cummins is by far the best diesel engine out there, period. The inline six should be an indication that these bad boys are made to haul. Anyone who knows anything about engines know that i6's produce crazy low end torque which is beneficiary to towing heavy loads. Towing is not a game of horsepower, it's torque that gets the job done. Sure the duramax and powerstroke can be fast at the racetrack, but what kind of engines do the big rigs use to tow freight carts all across the country with a million miles on the odometer? An inline 6cyl be it Cat, Cummins, Volvo, Mercedes, etc.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 AM
ProZ

2011 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins

hey guys do you think i would be happy with the RAM longterm?

at the moment i have 2 gas trucks a 10 F250 XL 5.4l and a 09 chevy 2500HD 6.0l
i really like the way the ford rides (suspension) compared to chevy just to sloww and avg bout 8-9mpg working a sluggg lol i was thinking about trading both trucks in for the dodge? any input.. thanks!

Old 09-18-2011, 03:17 PM
BnTinNV
Default Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel

Dont know if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but i have owned 3. I have been very happy with all of them. Never any mechanical repairs. In my 06' I had to have my powertrain control module flashed due to a recall after I noticed a bit of white smoke at start up, but all is well. As you might see in my pics I haul a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler. Loaded, its about 15000#. we generally go somewhere every month. been up to South Dakota and down to Arizona. So far so good. In my years of driving, Dodge has been more reliable to me than any other. I have owned Ford and Chev with more problems than I care to say. But maybe Ive just been fortunate. I would not hesitate to buy another Dodge.

Quick Reply: need info on 2011 ram diesel trucks