Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Whistle

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 AM
ramminit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Whistle

hey every one im tryiing to figure something out. i have a 6.7 cummins 115375 miles on previously i had an annoying whistle when hard accel at top of rpms and when i had the exhaust break engaged thought it was the egr and cooler so yesterday i removed them with a delete kit but guess what i still have the whistle if any one has any ideas please i am in dire need of info

Old 01-23-2011, 11:55 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same whistle. Almost sounds turbo related or something in the exhaust. I have 80,000 on mine. The sound started at 70ish though after the second time of going 15k with no oil change. (Work truck, reminded my boss many times about the oil.) I think its a bearing in the turbo that didn't get lubed or is going bad.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:32 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a turbo whistle. If so its normal.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 AM
JohnKoz
Rookie

Personally I love the turbo whistle, I’d be bummed if it went away.

-John

Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Its not homies. If you heard it you would understand. Definatly not normal. Everyone knows what a turbo whine is supposed to sound like. This sound just jumps in, peirces the firewall, like its in the cab with you. The turbo whine is there like it should be but gets drown out when this sound kicks in.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrenicX
Its not homies. If you heard it you would understand. Definatly not normal. Everyone knows what a turbo whine is supposed to sound like. This sound just jumps in, peirces the firewall, like its in the cab with you. The turbo whine is there like it should be but gets drown out when this sound kicks in.
Ok two things buddy. We/I ain't your homies. and don't answer for the original OP, maybe his is a turbo whistle, maybe not.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM
ramminit

no mine is definately not a turbo whistle it extremely hi pitched and changes tone it will cut in and out when on the top end of excel but when i have the exhaust break on its sounds constantly like its letting the pressure out some where i also at times have exhaust fumes under the hood so bad some times you would think my truck was over heating if you didnt smell it im not real sure how these new VGTs work but i cant find any soot deposit any where any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-24-2011, 10:07 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
Ok two things buddy. We/I ain't your homies. and don't answer for the original OP, maybe his is a turbo whistle, maybe not.
I was only making a friendly gesture.
Maybe you're not my homie, but you can be if you want. Everyone needs a shoulder to cry on. I'm not joining these forums to cause drama, not everything I post will be useful but some will. However, NOTHING I post will be with malicious intent.

I know exactly what his sound is, as I myself experience it on a daily basis. I was only helping to reinforce his issue as an actual issue since I am also a victim of the same thing.

To the OP: I've been running with this sound for 10,000 miles and haven't seen a loss of power yet. Eventually my boss will get around to getting it looked at for me but probably not anytime soon. Though, when he does I will know exactly what it is.

I'm sure we aren't the only ones, perhaps someone had it and got it fixed and can post their findings for us.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:23 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ramminit
no mine is definately not a turbo whistle it extremely hi pitched and changes tone it will cut in and out when on the top end of excel but when i have the exhaust break on its sounds constantly like its letting the pressure out some where i also at times have exhaust fumes under the hood so bad some times you would think my truck was over heating if you didn't smell it im not real sure how these new VGTs work but i cant find any soot deposit any where any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Now I'm positive we have the exact same issue. I have also had pretty bad exhaust fumes from up front. Straight diesel fumes right? Like the old days.. Without the **** smell that comes from the smog gear and DPF. Sometimes it gets in the cab and forces me to turn on the re-circulate vent.

It's gotta be in the exhaust system before the turbo or at the turbo. Do you high idle to warm up in the morning? I always do, and I get the sound at 1250 idle RPMs too, but only if I left the exhaust brake light engaged.

Also, Sorry for double posting.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 AM
ramminit

i idle my truck all night long i use my truck to haul loads all over the east coast and sit at truck stops at night my sound only comes and 2000 rpms or higher every once in awhile it will do it at idle i know my manifold isnt leaking im wondering if its where the houseing joins for the turbine im going to try to check the clamps its got me completely baffled

Quick Reply: Whistle