Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Driver side door wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011 | 03:42 PM
maxwell11
|
Default Driver side door wind noise

I just bought a 2005 quad cab with 41K miles.
Great truck, all things but one are good, so far I have not been able to solve the wind noise problem at the top of the driver side door.

Passenger door is fine, no noise.

I have tried a extra foam strip in the window channel.
electrical wire behind the rubber gaskets to give them more pressure aganist the door. Cleaning the rubber gaskets, etc: so far not much has reduced the noise but adding a 1/4" thick by 3/4" wide foam insulation strip to door at the location where the door gasket closes aganist the door. This has help some but the noise is still there and the gray foam looks like crap struck on the door of my, new to me, truck.

My friend has a older dodge, 2000 model, i put a dollar bill between his door and gasket at the same place as my noise, i could not pull it out without fear of tearing the dollar bill.

On my truck at the same place, top of door about even with your left ear the dollar would pull out with some resistance but no fear of tearing the dollar bill. But it also pulled out easily on the right door and yet there is no wind noise on this side.

So at this point I am stumped, but want wind noise gone.

Any of you guys have wind noise and what fixed the problem, any and all suggestions are welcome!!!!!

Thanks,

Note: the truck came with those stick on rain guards over the doors. The one on the driver side is loose at the bottom so wind could be getting between it and door frame. The one on the passenger door is stuck solid to the door frame. Planing to get this repaired next wed, so do not want to do any major damage to door until this is fixed as this could be the wind noise problem, but do not think it is.

Old 03-04-2011 | 03:56 PM
05 RAM 2500

well there are a couple ways to fix it i had the same problem when i bought my 05 quad cab one thing you can do is go to the dealer and they have thicker weather strips for that year and they seem to work good or you can tweek the top of the door by bending it down just a little thats what i did to fix mine

Old 03-04-2011 | 09:49 PM
maxwell11
|

Originally Posted by 05 RAM 2500
well there are a couple ways to fix it i had the same problem when i bought my 05 quad cab one thing you can do is go to the dealer and they have thicker weather strips for that year and they seem to work good or you can tweek the top of the door by bending it down just a little thats what i did to fix mine
can you explain is detail what procedure you used to adjust the top of the door frame.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-05-2011 | 12:41 AM
05 RAM 2500

well i took it in to a buddy of mine and he bent the top of the door and all he really did was put a cloth on the door and bent it with a piece of 2 by 4 or something that size you can take it to a body shop and if they charge you at all it would not very much maybe 20 dollars

Old 03-13-2021 | 06:59 PM
LOTS-2DO
Default Drivers side door noise?

I have been following some of the info that has been written up about this noise that no one seems to be able to solve the problem. I tried the door adjustment did not work. .Replaced the gasket did not help. I did notice when you power up the window all the way to top it actually pushes the outside part of the window track and creates a gap between the inside channel and the glass window. Note that when you bump the power switch to bring the window down the noise changes it's a little less but still there because the window is open just barely. I am going to take off the inner door panel and see if there is a way to prevent the window glass from pushing out the door when it is fully closed. It's almost like the window is going to far and creating pressure that is pushing and opening up a gap that is creating the noise. I will fix this It really is nerve racking with that noise in your ear at speeds over 45 miles an hour . Will up date tomorrow. Check and see if you are noticing this .

Old 03-14-2021 | 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Open the door, sit sideways in the seat. Place your knees against the door, just below the window, grab the top of the door, and pull it in toward you some. The idea is to bend the top of the door a bit, so it seals better. Keep in mind, you don't wanna bend it too much.

Old 03-15-2021 | 08:20 AM
LOTS-2DO
Default Door noise?

The top of the door is already against the truck body. Going to tape up glass on outside this morning and see if its the window channel.

Old 03-15-2021 | 11:00 AM
LOTS-2DO
Default Drivers side door noise?

Taped up the window worked much less noise but also put a round cord behind the gasket that goes all the way around the door going to try that ?

Quick Reply: Driver side door wind noise