Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

horn blows with door open and in gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you consider it throughly, yes, absolutely.

So if a basic maneuver such as reversing your vehicle is dangerous, then backing the vehicle to within inches of collision is a potential near miss. Add a potential for people, especially children possibly being near by, it's a bad potential situation.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Duniac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A factory recall added the "Horn blow while in gear with door open" feature. Instead of Dodge correcting the sloppy shift detent problem by replacing the column shift cable with a more robust unit, the brilliant engineers decided to add a horn warning as a money saving work around.

You'll notice on the RE48 Automatics the shift into park is sloppy. If you don't precisely slip the lever all the way up and manually press it forward to engage Park fully, it often times doesn't engage the Park detent switch, and the horn will go off when the door is opened and you dont have your foot on the brake. As long as the brake pedal is pushed down the horn wont go off, but hop out and slip your foot off the brake and it will go off.

The other way you notice this problem is when you get in the truck and try to start it but a turn of the key produces nothing. I think I eventually trained myself to look at the dash to make sure the P (Park) lamp was illuminated before I shut down and before I started. Sometimes my friends who drove my truck (and didn't know about this annoying little problem) had a hard time starting and backing my truck

Yet another retarded solution from the folks at Chrysler corporation

Duniac

Quick Reply: horn blows with door open and in gear