Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

horn blows with door open and in gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 PM
cheese53073
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horn blows with door open and in gear

I just picked up a '06 RAM 5.9 CTD. I'm having issues with the horn blowing while backing up and the door open. Is there a way to turn this feature off?

Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 AM
05 RAM 2500

not that i know of it was a factory recall they had i never did it to mine whoever owned it before had it fixed

Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... the question has to be asked.... why are you backing up a truck with a door open? I do believe that's why the brilliant engineers at Dodge put reflective devices attached to the outside of the truck... they are usually called mirrors.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM
cheese53073

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
... the question has to be asked.... why are you backing up a truck with a door open? I do believe that's why the brilliant engineers at Dodge put reflective devices attached to the outside of the truck... they are usually called mirrors.
I notice your forum status is listed as "Professional". After reading your response I'm left but to wonder if sarcastic B.S. is how a true professional would respond?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Geezir
Veteran

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Do you never hook up to a trailer by yourself?

Countless times I find myself hooking up to a trailer or my snowplow by myself, getting out of my truck only to find I need to back up an additional couple inches. Having to get in the truck and close the door everytime is just a pain in the ***.

To the OP....as mentioned that is part of a recall done by Dodge. Apparently some models had issues with slipping out of park without the driver knowing it. Hence the horn honk with the door open and in reverse.

Annoying yes, but to my knowledge unless you know somebody really well at a Dodge dealer there's no way to disable that. They aren't going to disable a "safety" feature like that.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

I guess some people find it possible to do things incorrectly to avoid interacting with another individual, however I personally feel there are only 2 safe ways to attach a trailer...

1. A guide
2. Rear camera

And I'd be surprised if many others didn't agree with me. I know dangerous actions/behavior such as that would have you permanently removed from our worksite.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Geezir
Veteran

There's nothing dangerous or incorrect about hooking a trailer up by yourself. People do it all the time. Not wanting to interact with others? There's not always other people in the yard to spot for me.

Stop being an ***.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 PM
cheese53073

Where is the danger in hooking a trailer by yourself?
BTW the question does need to be asked...
how many jobsite trailer hook-ups does an information systems analyst perform in a day?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

When you are minefleet system's analyst, it's a regular occurrence. We frequently relocate 60 and 80ft mobile towers around the oilsands open pit mine.

Yes, I may be an IS Analyst, but an IS Analyst can have many roles.. not just replacing your blue-screened 'office box'.

There's obvious blind spots when you are backing. Have you ever measured how far behind the truck you can see the pavement? And we don't even have children on our jobsite.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 06-03-2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Minor adjustments... like a recall done by Dodge. lol
Old 06-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Geezir
Veteran

Then backing up in general is an unsafe practice.

Quick Reply: horn blows with door open and in gear