Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

thinking about cai

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:26 PM
dodge626
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about cai

hey guys i have been looking at lots of parts that i want to put on my 03 2500 in the future when the money is there haha. one of the things is a cai and i have read lots of reviews and looked up a bunch of different brands and found out i dont want and cai with a oiled filter but the problem is that i like the banks intake system they have but they have an oiled filter. the other thing is which system do you guys like better an air box or a intake system with a heat shield? my thought is that the air box is better because it would hold out more heat from under the hood but what do you guys think? looking forward to hearing from someone. thanks guys

Old 08-30-2011, 11:06 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running an oiled S&B intake and it's been great. After 20k miles I felt a little guilty so I finally pulled it off to clean, and inside the filter tube was every bit as clean and dry as the day I installed it.

They also sell a non-oiled paper filter version if that's the route you want to go.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:36 PM
dodge626
Professional

well i have read alot of reviews and alot of guys are running afe intakes with the dry filter and having good luck with them and then i read reviews with guys running k/n intakes and they said they pull the filter off and find dirty and stuff in the tube another thing i would like to know is what do you guys think is better a system with an air box or one with a heat shield? thanks guys

Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 PM
horatio102
Champion

The shop I used to go to (4000+ miles away now) highly recommended S&B over all of the others. With the oiled filters, a lot of it is left to YOU as to how well it does its job and how much garbage goes through it, so do I honestly think there's that much of a difference, no. K&N's website says they'll pick up the tab if your engine gets dusted or some such thing. I'm not sure what everyone else says.

Like I said above, I went 20k miles in about a year before I cleaned my filter and there wasn't a hint of dirt that made it through.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 PM
horatio102
Champion

Oh, and I prefer the filter boxes rather than just a shield.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:30 PM
dodge626
Professional

yea a system with an air box keeps out more heat i think and did you see and power or mileage gains after you put it in?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 PM
horatio102
Champion

Nothing I noticed, just a little noise.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM
dodge626
Professional

hey guys i was checking out cai again and i like the air box idea so i was looking at the afe stage 2 with the pro guard 7 filter and i like the banks intake to but the problem is about a hundred bucks or so give or take a little bit which one of these 2 have you guys had the best luck with any help would be great thanks guys

Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM
dodge626
Professional

no one has any set up like that? im just wondering what you guys are seeing for numbers with one of those intakes and i just read a review yesterday where this shop tested a bunch of intakes and banks was the best out of all the ones they tested all the other ones they said would make you loose power so im leaning towards the banks but just would like ot hear somethings about other options especially the afe intakes? let me know what you guys think and know thanks guys

Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 PM
KenZ
Veteran

I run the AEM Brute force CAI with dry filter. Its a silicone ? type material instead of a paper type. Been running it a couple three years or so and love it. A little cleaner in a 5 gallon bucket of water and she's clean and ready to go (after drying). Had a oiled foam filter on my harley and hated messing with it so decided right off the bat that the truck would get only a dry type filter. Mine is a 'open box' type, but honestly don't think you can go wrong with any major brand out there. For me personally, don't care for the K&N, and Banks stuff seems a little pricey for me.

Quick Reply: thinking about cai