Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Questions about the 2500 Cummins.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:54 AM
Jbobbie439
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about the 2500 Cummins.

I was hoping someone could help me. I currently own a '99 Dodge Ram 1500 and am looking to possibly upgrade to the 2500 Cummins. My problem is that I know very little about diesel but would like to have one. The cost of getting into diesel bother me but what about the maintenance cost of running one and the longevity of the truck in general? I live in a cold climate (New England) so when do I have to worry about the engine starting or the fuel from gelling? Also, when sort of problems do I have to worry about in either the 2nd or 3rd gens, either one would be 4x4 auto? I won’t be doing any foreseeable towing and I’ll be a mix of 50% city to 50% highway driving every day. Right now I have my sights set on a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cumming SLT with 88k on it at a price tag of $17,000, is this a good buy?

Thank you for reading and any comments posted, I greatly appreciated the help!

-Jake

Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Gerry R
Amateur
Default looking for Dodge diesel

The 2002 would illiminate the risk of getting a ''53'' block engine because a few of those would crack water jackets but 2002 didn't have that issue. But they do have a problematic vp44 injector pumps that sometimes go 200k+ and some failed on warranty and also weak lift or transfer pumps (the main fuel pump supplying the injector pump) My 2001 had 104k miles with the same engine with no problems after I replaced the oem lift pump with a Fass unit. The basic 5.9 engine seems to be very durable with routine maintainance but if it ever breaks is not cheap to fix. By break I mean internal like a galled or broken piston etc. but are made to be rebuilt also. I just traded my 2001 for a 2004.5 and am very happy with the increased power (I tow 8,500 lb toy hauler). I can't say if the price you've quoted is fair for your area but it is a bit more than I would have thought. My old truck I figured was worth $12,000 when I traded this summer. IMO you should consider a 2003-2004 common rail too as these have a good reputation. As for cold starting I keep my truck on battery tenders during the winter when it can set for a month or two but if I drive it just plug the block heater in the night before and they start quick and warm up quick. Hope that helps and be conservative and not in a hurry when looking, in other words look around then decide, good luck, Gerry

Old 11-16-2011, 09:15 PM
maxwell11

my buddy bought a 2000 model with manual trans, had about 65K miles
its been a very good truck, with no known probems
guy got too old to pull camper and sold unit

I bought a 2005 model with 45K miles auto trans, its been a very good truck,
old guy died and his daughter sold his truck

about the only way to get a dodge diesel with low miles, someone retires or dies.

good trucks, work hard and do not break the bank with operating cost.

all i can say, if you can find one that has been well services you should have a good vehicle.

Starting: Those two big batteries kick the old diesel over fine, as long as you wait for grid heater and keep proper fuel jell additives.
must give an old diesel proper service

I would buy mine again, good mileage and power to spare.
both of the

Old 11-18-2011, 03:59 AM
Jbobbie439
Amateur

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep this in mind during my search!

Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 PM
tiger63
Rookie

If you can find a non 53 block 5.9 prior to 2004 check it out and buy that truck.

There a a few problems with lift pumps and a design error in the auto transmission but these can be corrected with after market parts. The problems were well know by Cummings
and Dodge but recalls were not made!

The Cummings engines after 2004 are a disaster due to EPA requirements. You have no choice if you own one of these but to give up your warrenty and the EPA problems can be
corrected by after market changes.

If you own the 6.9 engine I feel sorry for you!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Cummins Powered
Thumbs up Correction Tiger63

Correction,Tiger 63 diesel particulate filters,egr cooler,etc..did not take place until 2007.5.The last year for the big 3, before strict emissions came into place was 2007,2007.5 is when emissions came into place with the big 3.Personally I like the 6.7 bigger bore,bigger stroke,bigger camshaft,built in exhaust brake,6 speed tranny is good.I had an 03 Cummins,no comparison to the 6.7,but in order for the truck to run in tip top shape you have to do all the deletes(remove emissions).I have an 08 with the 6.7,but my truck is for OFF ROAD USE ONLY!You can view pictures of my truck under thread Cummins or Gasser.

Quick Reply: Questions about the 2500 Cummins.