Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

poor fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:16 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CCV is another abomination... all that oil that used to drip down the front of the enging now gets sucked through a filter and then anything not caught by the filter gets sucked into the compressor side of the turbo and then into the intercooler.

I'd rather not have oil vapors sludging up my turbo and intercooler.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:36 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO when you see oil test on a stock 6.7L with fuel dilution in the 6-9% range or read about a 6.7L growing oil at the rate of 1 qt every 4-500 miles is not a minor thing, that much diesel in the oil has to be hard internal parts. Also Dodge should have installed 2 micron fuel filters from the factory after all of the problems they still see from the 7 micron fuel filter used on the 5.9 engine.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:41 PM
rthomaslyons
Default 2008 RAM 4x4 - 6.7 Turbo

My 2008 RAM 4x4 - 6.7 Cummins with the 6 speed automatic is the best of 4 RAMS I have owned so far (1999, 2001, 2004) but the heaviest on fuel. I bought it new in 2009 and has just turned 16,000 miles or 25,000 Km and now that I am retired and can't afford to replace it so I plan on only using it spring to fall when I am towing. I thought with the 6-speed automatic the fuel economy would be roughly equal to the 5.9 4-speed automatic. Is there a chip out there that will help out on the fuel economy for camper trailer towing or soloing that is economical, effective and safe to use or should I just take out a second mortgage on the farm every time I fill up. What mileage should I reasonable expect to get with this lash up solo and trailering a 36' travel trailer at 60 mph.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditch the EGR and the DPF...DPF might as well be a potato shoved in your exhaust..

and the EGR will cause problems on the motor...you are pushing soot back through the intake and it WILL take its toll on the motor. I have heard of countless turbocharger failures on 6.7L trucks due to the EGR. and I bed your entire intake is getting plugged up with soot.

I remember having a diesel with a EGR once..my jetta TDI had one and I had to get the intake manifold boiled out because the EGR clogged the intake so bad the car almost didn't want to run...after it was boiled out, it gained 10mpg and quite a bit of power that it had lost...so EGR will slowly siphon off your fuel economy as well...longer you drive with it on, the worse things will get.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:51 PM
rthomaslyons
Default Poor fuel economy

So how exactly does a person go about to ditch the EGR the DPF and how easy is it to put back together for a trip to the Dodge dealer? I am assuming that doing this makes it illegal in 50 states and all of Canada!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

From what I've read it takes several hours to take off the EGR & DPF and would take as long if not longer to put it all back on, those who do deletes say F the warranty and they report an increase of 3-6 mpg.

Quick Reply: poor fuel mileage