Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

01 Fuel Mileage Dropped to 14 MPG??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM
dishtech43
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Fuel Mileage Dropped to 14 MPG??

I have a 01 Cummins,that was getting 22 mpg a couple years ago..I started dropping fast..It is down too 14 mpg now.starts great,but dont seem too have that fast take off anymore..replaced fuel filters,added lucas too fuel,..I did find a slit in the intercooler rubber tube on driver side. I put silicone on it one night too see if that was leaking.the next day. the silicone had a slit in it also..So Im going to order replacement today..Dont know if this will fix or not.Any other ideal..I have no Chips or mods.223000 miles.Not ran hard..Thanks

Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Do get the inter cooler hose replaced ASAP, have you worked the engine lately to help burn out carbon build up, if not after you replace the hose its a good idea to work the engine hard every month by hooking up to a 3K plus loaded trailer or put 2500 lbs in the bed and drive it non stop for at least 1 hour this will help heat up the EGT to help burn out carbon build up.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 AM
dishtech43
Default 01 Mileage gone...

I m getting hose ordered as we speak.they tell me the little 3" to 4" hose cost almost $200...wow. I have a 18 Goose neck trailer,I use from time too time hauling wood to house from farm,and I do get at least 3 loads of water a week,but only 4 miles away...It is a 450 water polly tank,so that is about 3200 lbs..but I don`t hammer the peddle..I take off easy..because I hear there is transmission problems with the dodges..ha. should I be more aggressive with it? Faster take offs..or just pull it more? But thanks for the info..and does chips help with fuel mileage? and if so what is the best for the money? Maybe Im being too easy with it..and the hose being replaced will help my mileage..I built a Hydrogen cell,and was thinking of adding it too the motor,,any thought? Thanks again.

Originally Posted by DBLR
Do get the inter cooler hose replaced ASAP, have you worked the engine lately to help burn out carbon build up, if not after you replace the hose its a good idea to work the engine hard every month by hooking up to a 3K plus loaded trailer or put 2500 lbs in the bed and drive it non stop for at least 1 hour this will help heat up the EGT to help burn out carbon build up.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:41 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

No need to hot rod it all of the time, I drive for max fuel mileage and have learned if I drive the truck with a load for 1-2 hours it gets the EGT up and helps burn out some carbon, after a drive it sounds better & runs better. Now if I don't take it for a work out every month in the winter, I will then try to do a 4 hr round trip drive at least every two months, after it runs so smooth almost like the day I bought it new in 06. I also try to run fuel additive mix of Power Service and 2 cycle oil in every tank to help make up for it not getting worked hard all of the time.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
dishtech43

Ok. Thanks for the tips!!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 PM
dishtech43
Default Replace intake hose

Originally Posted by dishtech43
Ok. Thanks for the tips!!
Got intake hose replace on the turbo..and dont seem too get any better fuel mileage..did give it a good run pulling a gooseneck trailer and tractor a few hours away.. dont know what to do next now...

Old 04-27-2012, 04:55 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Are you buying all of your fuel from the same place, tried any other additives other then Lucas? I've found that if I buy diesel from Murphy USA after a 2 tanks of there diesel my mpg numbers will go down 1-2 mpg do to them buying lowest diesel they can buy.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 AM
dishtech43
Default Fuel mileage

I buy from 3 different places..but mostly one,being closest.I live deep in the county.ha I have not used anything else but lucas..and havent done that for a while.due too the exspense in fuel price and lucas...Well Ill figure it out.some how..I need the lifters adjusted soon.Might help...If not ,Ill have too live with it until I find another one..but thanks for all....

Quick Reply: 01 Fuel Mileage Dropped to 14 MPG??