Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Pressure Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:10 AM
RRussock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Gauges

Hey everyone, I am very aware of the problems with the cummins fuel system, I have a 2001 ram 2500 that I got not too long ago. Looking at saving up for the aftermarket lifter pump. But first I want to get a fuel pressure gauge. I know that I need to get a needle valve to go along with it because of the water hammer effect. I was wondering what everyone's opinion is for electrical or mechanical gauges? I am kind of on a tight budget so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for pressure gauge kits to get that are reasonably priced. And if anyone else has any other advice to pass my way for the fuel pressure gauge let me know! Thanks everyone, real glad I joined this website, everyone is real helpful!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isspro 0-30psi mechanical gauge will be your best/most reliable/accurate gauge.

electronic gauges are cheaper and easier to install, but not as reliable or accurate as a mechanical gauge. senders tend to go bad after a while. mechanical gauges have no sender. just a chemical isolator to keep fuel out of the cab. Much more work to install a mechanical gauge but well worth it IMO.

I have a DiPricol Optix mechanical FP gauge with chemical isolator and needle valve. Its worked flawless for me for 4 years now. I would recommend it, but unfortunately DiPricol went out of business when the economy crashed. ISSPRO is the next best thing.

for stock fuel system you will need a tapped banjo bolt, and I recommend installing that on the filter side of the fuel line that goes to the VP44 rather than the VP44 side...you want it post filter, but with plenty of hose between it and the VP44

Last edited by Jigabop; 07-07-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Gauges