Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Predictive Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012 | 10:04 AM
vball4me
|
Default Predictive Maintenance

I'm looking for failure information for my truck. The purpose is to replace parts before they fail. I bet there is a chart or table somewhere that shows what components fail at what mileage for certain models/years.

My truck: 2004.5 Dodge RAM 3500 Dually, 5.9L HO 600 turbo diesel. I have 75,000 miles on it. So far, I have replaced the water pump, batteries and tires.

Do you know a reliable source for predictive maintenance? i.e. known failures at what miles.

Thanks, Brian

Old 08-20-2012 | 09:10 AM
Izero
Champion

By career I am a maintenance engineer, and the one type of item that is nearly impossible to apply a "predictive" maintenance schedule to is personally owned vehicles.

Because everyone has a different driving style/habits, and use their vehicles for completely different things it is nearly impossible to get enough accurate statistical data to determine predictive maintenance.

The best thing you can do is follow the OEM Service Manual for maintenance, and have regular inspections done (or do them yourself) on all components of your vehicle.

Old 08-23-2012 | 12:26 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Old 08-25-2012 | 09:22 AM
hillbilli
Veteran

Welcome to DF!

Be prepared to do ball joints and u-joints, very common failures at every range of the odometer. Biggest thing i can reccomend is to buy quality fuel from a busy gas station, and use a Balwins PF7977 fuel filter and change it every 5-10k miles. Quality fuel and filtration is the key to long injector life ($2-3k per set) and preventing a melted engine do to injector failure ($6-9k for rebuild).

Quick Reply: Predictive Maintenance