Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What should I be looking for

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What should I be looking for

Hey guys its been a while since I have posted or owned a dodge for that matter. I sold my gasser years ago wanting to buy a CTD but as some know things happen. I am finally in the position to buy and I found one that I am interested in (havent seen it in person yet, still on deployment), but not entirely sure what I should be looking for. Here are the basics, let me know if additional info is needed and I will see what I can come up with.

2009 SXT Mega Cab, 3500 with 55000 miles. They are asking 38,500

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:06 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

sorry guys forgot to add that it is a 4X4. I am not surewhat SXT stands for but the truck is not a dually.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds decent.

just make sure everything works and it has been taken care of..

also be aware that EGR and DPF deletes are getting extremely hard to find, so you may or may not want to go with an older model that has the 5.9L to avoid the emission controls nonsense. emissions controls on diesels cause serious problems like clogged intakes, clogged exhaust filters, clogged turbos, soot buildup on the valves, poor fuel economy, loss of power, etc..none of the 5.9L engines suffered any of those issues due to emissions controls because at most they had a cat. some didn't even have that.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:30 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jigabop
sounds decent.

just make sure everything works and it has been taken care of..

also be aware that EGR and DPF deletes are getting extremely hard to find, so you may or may not want to go with an older model that has the 5.9L to avoid the emission controls nonsense. emissions controls on diesels cause serious problems like clogged intakes, clogged exhaust filters, clogged turbos, soot buildup on the valves, poor fuel economy, loss of power, etc..none of the 5.9L engines suffered any of those issues due to emissions controls because at most they had a cat. some didn't even have that.

Can you explain what you mean by being aware of EGR and DPF deletes are getting extremely hard to find? I have no idea what EGR or DFP are...

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM
horatio102
Champion

On 1/1/2007 the Federal emissions laws changed, and all diesel trucks built after that date have to meet certain requirements. Dodge was able to meet those emissions requirements with a catalytic converter, exhaust gas recirculation, and diesel particulate filter.

The emissions crap takes about a 4 mpg toll on your fuel economy. There were several companies who made programmers that facilitated the removal of the emissions equipment, which is a violation of federal law. The EPA has slapped a $500,000 fine against Edge Products, and I know H&S shut down sales of their programmers for a while.

I sold my 08 Laramie 2500 last year with about 70k on it - loaded, heated leather, sunroof, power rear slider, etc for $27k WITH all of the factory emissions stuff and the delete stuff in the bed. I had dealers from all over the country offering me 25k for it, so I'd wager that there's a lot of room for negotiating in that $40k price they're asking.

Oh, and the EGR/DPF/CAT components will cost about $7k to replace if they're missing, so if you do buy a 6.7 liter Cummins, make SURE they include all of the emissions equipment, or ask them to adjust their price accordingly.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Thanks for the info, I think I understand what you said, but if I do not have emission inspections does it matter if the truck has it or does not have it. I will have to do some research on EGR's and DPF's so I know what I am looking for. I am assuming that was what Jigabop was talking about it......

Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 AM
horatio102
Champion

Yeah.

If you don't have emissions inspections, chances are nobody will ever know or care. If you move somewhere that requires inspections, you'll need it. I understand that you can register it in your home state if you get stationed somewhere, but I'm not sure about moving overseas or after you get out.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally wouldnt buy a new truck for the fact that all the emissions crap is no good for the truck. Some people just want the newest truck possible just so they have the latest technology and can keep up with everyone else. With the EPA cracking down on the 07+ trucks its gonna be harder to get deletes and mods for them. Imo its a much better option to go the 5.9 route. Less headache's. As for me ill never ever be in a newer diesel. I will have my 02 till it dies. Then ill prob go back out and buy another 2nd gen ram lol

Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dedogg
Hey guys its been a while since I have posted or owned a dodge for that matter. I sold my gasser years ago wanting to buy a CTD but as some know things happen. I am finally in the position to buy and I found one that I am interested in (havent seen it in person yet, still on deployment), but not entirely sure what I should be looking for. Here are the basics, let me know if additional info is needed and I will see what I can come up with.

2009 SXT Mega Cab, 3500 with 55000 miles. They are asking 38,500

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Dedogg,

If you want a build sheet on anything you are considering, PM me the vin and I will send you one.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by dedogg
Can you explain what you mean by being aware of EGR and DPF deletes are getting extremely hard to find? I have no idea what EGR or DFP are...
the delete programmers are getting hard to find because the EPA is cracking down on companies that make them.

So if you want your truck engine to last, its best to delete the DPF and EGR.

the EGR is basically a device that re-routes part of your exhaust back into the intake to have a second run through the engine...

well as many know diesel exhaust is black and full of soot when you hammer down. so all that soot is getting pumped right back into your intake completely unfiltered. It cakes up over time and siphons off your fuel economy by restricting airflow. eventually its going to cost a lot of money to have your intake cleaned out.. (cost me $1500 on my TDI jetta to have the intake boiled out due to soot buildup from the EGR)

the DPF is another issue.

its basically a filter in your exhaust to stop soot from exiting the exhaust. if you drive your truck easy, this soot continues to build up until eventually it becomes like a potato shoved in your exhaust choking it off...

while it is still on the truck, you need to drive the truck like you stole it...run the engine hard and hot to get that soot build up to quite literally burn off of the filter.

if you want to delete these emissions controls you will need a programmer to do so, because the engine is aware of those emissions controls and if they become inoperable the engine goes into limp mode. A delete programmer allows the engine to run normally without the emissions controls present. This gives an immediate 4mpg fuel economy gain, instant power gain, and reduces future engine problems.