Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DEF issues on 2012 6.7l

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 PM
dauber5500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with DEF

My Ram 5500 had engine light at less than 3000 miles. Codes cleared at dealership in Gilbert,Az. Light came on again about 150 miles later but was running good so waited until home in Olds,Alberta. They checked DEF fluid and said urea concentration was out of specs and had to do complete breakdown & cleaning of system ( about $1500 ) but I was able to prove that it was all their fluid so on warranty. Light came on again 150 miles later so they replaced NOx sensors and that seemed to fix problem for about 7000 miles. Light recently came on again but haven't been able to take in again yet but running good and DEF fluid being used so suspect same problems. This DEF system unproven & experimental in North America & we are the guinea pigs. DEF fluid degrades in high heat conditions & might be out of specs before it even gets to dealerships or other retailers if high heat conditions in transport. Don't let them blame bad DEF on you as that seems to be their first recourse so you have to pay. Get it checked independently.

Also, don't know about you but I'm very disappointed with both the lack of power and very poor fuel mileage.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:54 AM
Jeffs64

Boy oh boy I am glad that my 2010 2500 2wd doesn't use def. that's one of the reasons I purchased a dodge instead of a Chevy or Ford But the truck Is a piece of crap. My 6.7l runs well and gets about 19 mph on the freeway at 70 mph. Getting back to the dodge dealers I think in most cases they say its always your fault when something goes wrong. Then say its not covered by the warranty. But when buy it the salesmen at the dealer tells you it's all covered. There all full of sh......

Last edited by Jeffs64; 09-15-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM
stanlee.brown

Was it ever determined that it was diesel in def tank? I'm having a similar problem with a rental truck. The truck stopped and dealer said someone put diesel in def tank. I don't think that happened. The fluid in the def tank was milky white, all levels were full when we picked it up, and we only drove it 1700 miles.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 PM
jasonjay

Originally Posted by landscaper15
Anyone else having major issues with the DEF system? Fluid level is full but the warning message was coming on saying it would shutdown after a certain amount of km's. Took it to the dealership and it was there for 2 weeks waiting on a new pump. They finally got the pump replaced only to drive away and 2 hrs later the same thing is happening. This truck is now sitting in a parking lot and the service manager has no solution. PLEASE HELP
I live in northern ab and I am having issues to. They say that it's freezing. I have 300 k left before 8 km's per hr I have thawed the truck out. The message is the same. The dealership in Fort mcmurray is not an option. The closest one is 4.5 hrs away. Any ideas.

Last edited by jasonjay; 03-09-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go over a few hard "bumps" in the road so the DEF system mysteriously "falls off"?

Old 03-16-2014, 10:20 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Originally Posted by Jigabop
go over a few hard "bumps" in the road so the DEF system mysteriously "falls off"?

Then maybe a few potholes after that to make the check engine light go out.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:56 AM
Tongman
Default Def problems

I have a 2011 cab and chassis that has warned of a shut down in 75k and to take it to the dealer. Chrysler required the dealer to change the filter at $400 plus labor to me. No help . Next the truck set for 10 days waiting for new def pump. $1500 plus labor to me. Problem solved for 1000k. Waited 10 days for another pump. Problem solved for 2000k. Same reading on dash. Dealer wants to try something else to fix problem on my dime. This truck has 100,000 kilometres on it but the def system is only covered to 80,000 k in Canada. My American friends have better coverage. If this happens to any other trucks of mine they will get a delete kit. This system was put in on the rush and Chrysler can not even diagnose or advise the dealerships on what to do.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Jeffs64
Default Get it Fixed

Try to contact Cummins Customer Care engines@cummins.com. They can at least point you in the right direction. If you do the delete kit it won't pass smog or at leased here in the states. We also have a Federal Emission's Law.
5 Years or 50,000 miles. And Yes if the ECM gets a sensor message the truck will shut down. You'll get the warning and it will keep running. After you shut it off it won't start up again until the DEF problem is repaired. Sorry to hear about your problems. It would seem that Dodge is a wear of these issues and choses not to recall the trucks and fix them.

Last edited by Jeffs64; 08-25-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:54 AM
Noramforme

I live in Calgary and have the same problems. Truck has been into shop 5 times for DEF related issues and it's only got 7000km on it.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 AM
Jeffs64
Default I guess they all have the DEF problem

I was thinking about trading my 2010 6.7l cummins for a 2011 Duramax and I am so happy I didn't. If you look at the duramax forums there all talking about bad DEF pumps / tanks / O2 sensor problems and the dealers are just as bad or worst than the Dodge Boys. I requested the warranty history from the dealer and the truck went back four times for DEF problems just before the warranty was up. The truck was traded in when the warranty was up. The owner didn't want to get stuck with the DEF issues. I am going to keep my dodge it's 2010 and no DEF required.

Quick Reply: DEF issues on 2012 6.7l