Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New ride what can I do with it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 AM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ride what can I do with it?

I have been reading and learning a lot on here the last couple days. I plan on taking out the silencer ring, putting a cold air intake, exhaust from turbo back and chipping it. It seems to be mixed as far as best chip for these trucks. What else should or could I do to make this truck last as long as I can. It is a 05 with the HO 5.9L bone stock

Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with an upgraded fuel system like a fass150 or airdog150 (the ones WITH filters...stock filters can't filter out enough), then some gauges.

EGT, Boost, trans temp (if automatic) and rail pressure.

as far as programmers go: EFI-Live is top dog in the tuning world for common rails...

also if its an automatic you will want to upgrade the torque converter, input shaft, output shaft, and valve body.

if its a manual, get a good clutch.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

Can I go a while on the stock tranny? It is a auto trans, I really wanted gauges but I don't know where to put them because I got the O $hit bar on the driver side to.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe they have full pillars that replace the oh **** handle and up to quad gauge pods for the 3rd gens...

you can also put gauges on the column. they make single and dual column mounts.

it's all up to you where you want to put them.

you can likely get away with a stock trans for a while, just don't crank the power all the way...if you crank it all the way wiht EFI-Live, it will punish your turbo and tranny...

EFI Live has the ability to just break into the 500hp range... its not a useable 500hp because EGT's would be through the roof, but it can break into that range on stock injectors and turbos if that says anything about that tuner...

you don't have to run max power though...tune it to a lower setting and all should be fine.

now when I say useable 500hp: Useable means you can hold WOT at that power level indefinitely without melting down your turbo and engine, you can tow at that power though its really not recommended to use the full power for long durations because it really challenges the stock cooling system.

unuseable means you can lay the number on the dyno, but you are really pushing the truck to make that number and EGT's are dangerously high.

my truck for example: I can run WOT at my highest power level in overdrive (6th gear) all the way to redline. my EGT's stay below 1250* because I have more than enough air volume and boost pressure to support my fueling.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:00 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

As far as fuel this should do it right?
http://www.xtremediesel.com/pureflow...stemfp100.aspx

I wouldnt need the 150 if I dont plan on going to extreme.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:50 PM
rdefayette

1) upgraded fuel filtration and Lift Pump (AirDog or FASS)
2) gauges EGT, trans temp at a minumum
3) upgrade trans. TC, shift kit/VB, solenoid, band lever
4) Smarty w/UDC
EFI live does NOT have a tuner for the '03-'05's yet (don't hold your breath).
EFI Live available for '06 up.
I would recommend upgrading the trans before going with the tuner.
If you ratchet up the power, stand on it once too many times you might be riding the shoe leather express until you have the $$$ to fix/upgrade the trans which could get pricey. Take care of it now before parts break and it cost more. IMO
CAI, all but free here http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...i-3rd-gen.html
for the air filter go with the NAPA gold or Wix 4" pleat.
The pump you need is for tank mounted factory lift pumps. Your lift pump should be in the tank use this pump. http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...f_id=A4SPBD002
run the fuel through it the stock canister after the new pump.gets you extra filtration, keeps the fuel heater and water seperator in use. Can't hurt.
Might want to consider a sump http://www.xtremediesel.com/xdpblack...opinstall.aspx for the pickup. Saves you from either droppinng the tank or lifting the bed, and 1/4 tank issues. (search this)

Last edited by rdefayette; 03-16-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:37 AM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

Originally Posted by rdefayette
1) upgraded fuel filtration and Lift Pump (AirDog or FASS)
2) gauges EGT, trans temp at a minumum
3) upgrade trans. TC, shift kit/VB, solenoid, band lever
4) Smarty w/UDC
EFI live does NOT have a tuner for the '03-'05's yet (don't hold your breath).
EFI Live available for '06 up.
I would recommend upgrading the trans before going with the tuner.
If you ratchet up the power, stand on it once too many times you might be riding the shoe leather express until you have the $$$ to fix/upgrade the trans which could get pricey. Take care of it now before parts break and it cost more. IMO
CAI, all but free here http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...i-3rd-gen.html
for the air filter go with the NAPA gold or Wix 4" pleat.
The pump you need is for tank mounted factory lift pumps. Your lift pump should be in the tank use this pump. http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...f_id=A4SPBD002
run the fuel through it the stock canister after the new pump.gets you extra filtration, keeps the fuel heater and water seperator in use. Can't hurt.
Might want to consider a sump http://www.xtremediesel.com/xdpblack...opinstall.aspx for the pickup. Saves you from either droppinng the tank or lifting the bed, and 1/4 tank issues. (search this)
I got some saving to do. I was just ganna ask bout the banks big hoss, loving this section more and more every time I get on.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 AM
rdefayette

Originally Posted by dodgeramit_10
I got some saving to do. I was just ganna ask bout the banks big hoss, loving this section more and more every time I get on.
spend wisely, research then get what fits YOUR needs. Don't believe advertising hype.
like we say in the racing world, speed costs money.....how fast can you afford to go?
given enough money and time you can make a Greyhound bus run in the 9's.!

Old 03-16-2013, 05:41 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

how do yall feel about mixing brand parts, like getting a smarty jr tuner, bully dog CAI, magnaflow exhaust, banks intercooler. Not what I'm getting just throwing a bunch of brands out there or do I get all the same brand. Just shopping around for prices on everything and thought of that.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:21 AM
rdefayette

Originally Posted by dodgeramit_10
how do yall feel about mixing brand parts, like getting a smarty jr tuner, bully dog CAI, magnaflow exhaust, banks intercooler. Not what I'm getting just throwing a bunch of brands out there or do I get all the same brand. Just shopping around for prices on everything and thought of that.
we pretty much all mix brands.
not a big deal.
like i said in my first post you can make a CAI for next to nothing.
The stock intercooler will flow more air than you think.
and your wallet will get sucked dry by marketing hype.
Smarty sr w/udc, couple bucks more than a jr. just keep it turned down to start. You can always crank it up later. better to spend a couple bucks more now than have to sell the jr and start over with a sr.

Quick Reply: New ride what can I do with it?