Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel system losing prime on 98 24 valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
rodnok
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system losing prime on 98 24 valve

My fuel system seems to be losing it's prime after sitting for a few days. Truck won't start and I have to run it through the prime cycle before it will start again. Anyone know how I can check for a leak. I don't seem to have any evidence of fuel leaking from any of the lines.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 PM
rodnok
Rookie

The only things that have been done with the fuel system is the lift pump that was stock on the truck was replaced with an in tank pump by the dealer about 2 years ago. I also replaced the fuel filter last fall.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:50 AM
ET RAM
Rookie

You need to look at all your rubber fuel hoses in the fuel system. I am more familiar with my 96 model. There are fuel feed and return hoses that connect to metal lines just behind the engine. These are notorious for leaking and need to be checked or replaced. I have replaced these 2 times. Also, there is a short L shaped hose that connects the fuel heater to the lift pump that leaks. Since your fuel system was modified you need to look to see how this was done.

The problem with the fuels hose is that they tend not to leak but suck in air. So you do not see signs of leakage. My L shaped hose was leaking but I saw no fuel. It was when I tested the hose with air pressure in a tub of water that I found the leak. The leak area just cannot be found by visual inspection.

Rubber hoses should be replaced on a time basis. Also get the best hose you can find. The metal lines also corrode and cause leaks. So far I have not had a problem in this area. I just check periodically.

If your hoses have not been replaced I would replace all of them.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM
rodnok
Rookie

Thanks ET, I will check them all out.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:04 PM
fishtail99

I saw a thread about the elbows at the tank rusting away, check those too. Here's the link they posted for a good fix if they are the problem:
http://9gbx7.hpqh3.servertrust.com/D...shlo-p/dsi.htm

Quick Reply: Fuel system losing prime on 98 24 valve