Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013 | 09:09 PM
scottieboy
|
Amateur
Default Horsepower

Looking to increase horesepower on my 2001 Cummins. Injectors? Programmer? Both? Best brands to go with? Already have cold air intake and exhaust.
Any suggestions......

Old 07-09-2013 | 09:11 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran

I know a lot of the tuners advertisea big jump in output since diesels are detuned from the factory.

Old 07-09-2013 | 10:53 PM
horatio102
Champion

Lift pump, transmission, gauges, then power.

Old 07-10-2013 | 12:00 PM
Jigabop
Champion

what transmission? and have you upgraded the lift pump and put a fuel pressure gauge on it yet?

You always need to do supporting mods before you increase power if you want a reliable truck.

example: with my most recent power increase, I had to upgrade my push rods and valve springs to prevent floating the valves with my new found power...

truck used to be around 550hp/1100tq...now my best guess is that it's upwards of 600hp/1200tq at the rears.

will confirm that next month on our dyno day.

Old 07-12-2013 | 01:51 AM
scottieboy
|
Amateur

yes lift pump has been upgraded. no fuel pressure gauge yet.

Old 07-12-2013 | 02:19 AM
scottieboy
|
Amateur

stock tranny

Old 07-12-2013 | 12:13 PM
Jigabop
Champion

5psd, 6spd, or automatic?

if it's an automatic: you need to upgrade the torque converter, valve body, and the input and output shafts (or just buy a built tranny) before you start building power or you will destroy the transmission and leave yourself stranded in a very short time period...

with a manual trans you just need to upgrade the clutch and if the clutch is dual disc or has an extra heavy pressure plate, clutch hydraulics need upgraded as well.

(I have a 6-spd manual with a double disc clutch and upgraded clutch hydraulics)

Old 07-12-2013 | 07:54 PM
scottieboy
|
Amateur

5 speed. Original clutch actually went out about a year ago and replaced it with a double disc. Me and my buddy put it in and wasnt as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Little jumpy taking in off in 2nd but gotten used to it.

When we took the slave cylinder off and rest of the hyraulics it got puntured somehow. Luckily he had one from an older truck (upgraded) so we went ahead and put it on. That was a pain in the *** trying to get all the air out though.

Old 07-15-2013 | 11:51 AM
Jigabop
Champion

alright, well since those are taken care of, then get yourself a mechanical fuel pressure gauge, a 0-60psi boost gauge, and a EGT gauge (pyrometer)

after gauges there are a couple boxes I hear good things about...

you can get an edge comp which is an all in one box... with the hot unlock I hear it does pretty well for adding power.

when I say all in one box, I mean it does timing, canbus fueling, and wiretap fueling.

another setup I hear great things about is stacking a TS MVP with a TST comp.

the MVP is a timing + canbus fueling box. the comp is a wiretap fueling box. the boxes need to be stacked (both hooked up to the truck) to get the full benefits of running electronic enhancements since they are not an all in one box.

I would have normally recommended the box I am running (another all in one box that includes USB upgradeable tunes, and custom tuning ability from the monitor) but the company that makes it (quadzilla) went out of business at the start of the year. I bought my box 5 years ago, and it has been a great box with no issues the entire time. but that said, if something were to ever happen to it, I would have no way of getting it fixed or replaced and would have to switch to another box which would suck since I would lose the ability to custom tune the box.

Anyway, those boxes I mentioned would be a good start to making some power.

what kind of power are you looking for anyway, and what do you use the truck for?

Old 07-15-2013 | 02:08 PM
Thundering6

Has the truck had the head off and o-ringed and then studded?.

Gauges first,studs and o-ringed head next,charger and injectors choice should be made to support your fueling box.

The BEST stack of boxes for power/economy we have ever had at one of our dyno events on any 24v was a TST PM3/Edge EZ(timing level set on highest position).We have seen trucks into the high 700's low 800's on fuel only with twins and big single charger trucks into the high 600's low 700's with this stack.Edge has a very good product out now also but they have still fallen way short on power compared to Chappel's TST PM3 Comp.

As for your issues with clutch hydraulics a upgraded setup from either South Bend Clutch or Valair will cure your issues.Stock hydraulics will not stand up to the rigorous abuse of the double disc and its a upgrade thats worth its weight in gold.

One last thing...
Since your wanting more power from your truck it would be better to tell us what your plans are for the truck so we can help point you off in a direction to start your searches.Remember there is a line you will come to where daily driveability suffers as you go up the HP chain.Also keep in mind added power means more maintence to maintain that power level.Many will tell you that they can drive their heavily modded trucks with no extra work and I am here to tell you that is far from the truth.

To the owner here who states about his valve train upgrade and "possible" 50hp gain,I say bunk.If you have valve float issues then your obviously living above 4grand and you will never do just valve springs and pushrods and stop the float.Sounds like your trying to make power way out of the realm of the camshaft you have as if you were within the powerband of it there would be no float.BTW,I'll take that challenge or piehole flap you made about making more power than the CR on if your game.

Show me your best strapped dyno run here and I will gladly post mine.You will NEVER run around a CR that has the same power mods that you have on your 24v......Andy

Quick Reply: Horsepower