Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What is the oil to gas ratio to make diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Freislander
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the oil to gas ratio to make diesel

While in the air force working in a very remote location we had difficulty getting diesel fuel required for our vehicles and generators. The solution to the problem was to add motor oil to gasoline. The problem is I can not remember the ratio. The number that I keep coming up with is 35 to 1. I am not sure if I am correct and will detergent oil work as well. I realize that the engines were basic diesel. Does anyone know the ratio. I think that it would be good information in a pinch. The only thing that we had to be sure to do was add the oil first so it would mix. I think that I might add a cetane booster also. Thanks all.....

Old 09-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would be better off running on straight vegetable oil than you would be mixing oil and gasoline...

or mix methanol with vegetable oil... biodiesel...

Old 09-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Freislander

That would be great in town, but if you were in the middle of no where and in a bind I know you can make your own diesel. If it would be either make it or walk 30 miles. I would mix.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Jigabop
Champion

gasoline has been known to make diesel engines go boom... gotta remember it is a 16:1 compression engine.

just to play devils advocate here and stir the pot a little....

if truly in the middle of nowhere with no fuel...where are you getting this gasoline and oil?!

not to mention the tool to bleed the injector lines on an older diesel if you were stupid enough to run it completely out of fuel to where it stalled out... (example: my truck is old enough to require injector line bleeding...02 and older all would require it)

Old 09-18-2013, 02:12 AM
Freislander

I would not have gas with me, but I might have some oil in a boonie box along with a few other goodies. Once you are out there somewhere gas trucks, etc are more common. I don't think that I have ever seen a diesel jeep. My memory is old and foggy so if I had ever seen one it has since slipped into the fog of time. Now diesel fuel is basically just oiled gas. What makes adding gas to diesel is twofold 1st if you are heavy on the gas you will get detonation 2nd you are right that mixing gas into diesel is dangerous because gasoline vapors are light and will float away and diesel vapors are heavy and will fall back onto themselves either way not hanging around to make a big bang. You are also right not everyone would let you siphon gas from their car, but I still would have a siphon hose with me and I know that I can make gasoline out of diesel without cookin it kinda like white lightening...

Last edited by Freislander; 09-19-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Jigabop
Champion

I dunno...think you would find diesel out on the road just as easily as gasoline... every semi truck runs on it...almost all heavy equipment runs on it.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Mixing gas with oil doesn't sound like a viable option. I'm not going to try and do the chemistry but 35 gallons of gasoline and one gallon of oil doesn't equal diesel fuel to me.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM
AJOSSY
Amateur

I too am skepticle of this idea.
2 Cycle boat motors run anywhere from 18:1 (old engines) to 100:1 (newer engines). My dads outboard ran 18:1 and it didn't remind me of diesel at all.
Might workin in a pinch, but I honestly can't say I would try it. If it was a matter of survival and my only option maybe.....

Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Freislander

that is what I was referring to "a pinch"

Old 10-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Jigabop
Champion

it would need to be mostly oil with very little gasoline.

Quick Reply: What is the oil to gas ratio to make diesel