Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Wheel bounce

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,299 Likes on 3,045 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't hold out much hope that is going to solve it.....

Have someone push the truck side to side, while sitting on the ground, and see if anything interesting is happening there...

Old 08-21-2017, 11:10 PM
Nate_rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright small update.
Had someone saw the wheel with the truck off, no play in any steering. Had someone push the side of the truck and didn't see any play in anything but the tires.

On the highway at speed it occasionally feels like the front axle is vibrating side to side. Had someone follow me and they could see the front pumpkin moving slightly left to right.

Track bar right? That's what that seems like to me. Tires aren't vibrating or anything. I've rotated them anyway with no change.

Im gonna pull the track bar off and check the DOR Track bar frame mount and see if it's loose at all or has been wiggling.

Didn't seem to be when someone was shaking the truck but that's the only thing I can come up with right now. Probably a lot more force hitting big dips on the freeway at 70mph than what my buddy can do pushing on the front end of my 6500lb pickup lol

Truck also clunked right around the frame end track bar mount when going over big bumps at 20-30 mph.

Im gonna give that a check when I get a couple hours to kill and see what's up. Hopefully that'll be the problem...

Old 09-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Still haven't had a chance to check the track bar. Truck hasn't done this since I was driving back up from the coast a couple of months ago. I don't think it's fixed I just haven't been driving fast enough on the highway for it to occur. I'm afraid to drive my truck any faster than 65.

Anyways, I have a different question and rather than start a whole 'nother thread I figured I'd ask it here.

I have a severe power steering leak on my truck. The steering gear box leaks, the power steering pump leaks, the hydroboost leaks and the lines weep.

Ive been accumulating the parts to replace the power steering system. So far I've got a new Borgeson High Flow pump, reman AC Delco hydroboost and brand new borgeson power steering lines. I'm about to order a redhead steering gear box from Diesel Power Products.

I want to replace EVERY component in the power steering system because I don't want to worry about the nasty burnt/dirty PS fluid contaminating my new expensive parts.

What all is in the system? Does it have a fluid cooler? I think after I get the steering box I'll have everything but I just wanted to come here and make sure! Thanks

Last edited by Nate_rs; 09-04-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

coolers were optional on some trucks. Think it came as part of various 'heavy duty' packages. (plow, towing, or just generic "HD") Best thing to do is crawl under the truck and have a look. If there is one under there, it is easy to remove it, and flush it out.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:17 PM
Mcstealth
Amateur
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Nate_rs
Alright small update.
Had someone saw the wheel with the truck off, no play in any steering. Had someone push the side of the truck and didn't see any play in anything but the tires.

On the highway at speed it occasionally feels like the front axle is vibrating side to side. Had someone follow me and they could see the front pumpkin moving slightly left to right.

Track bar right? That's what that seems like to me. Tires aren't vibrating or anything. I've rotated them anyway with no change.

Im gonna pull the track bar off and check the DOR Track bar frame mount and see if it's loose at all or has been wiggling.

Didn't seem to be when someone was shaking the truck but that's the only thing I can come up with right now. Probably a lot more force hitting big dips on the freeway at 70mph than what my buddy can do pushing on the front end of my 6500lb pickup lol

Truck also clunked right around the frame end track bar mount when going over big bumps at 20-30 mph.

Im gonna give that a check when I get a couple hours to kill and see what's up. Hopefully that'll be the problem...

I have the same exact issue on an '05 2500, Heavy Duty 5.9 Automatic. I have gone through the exact same process as you. I have not found any issues that are obvious. I do have a level Kit, FYI.

It seems it is only the drivers front. A jackhammer, up and down feeling, not a speed wobble if I were to describe it. The episode is violent. It feels like the wheel wants to jump out of the wheel well.

I'm going to get new shocks as my Bilstiens are old but I don't think that will fix the issue. Please keep looking as I will also. There has to be others and not just us.

David

Old 09-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by Mcstealth
I have the same exact issue on an '05 2500, Heavy Duty 5.9 Automatic. I have gone through the exact same process as you. I have not found any issues that are obvious. I do have a level Kit, FYI.

It seems it is only the drivers front. A jackhammer, up and down feeling, not a speed wobble if I were to describe it. The episode is violent. It feels like the wheel wants to jump out of the wheel well.

I'm going to get new shocks as my Bilstiens are old but I don't think that will fix the issue. Please keep looking as I will also. There has to be others and not just us.

David
Hey David, jackhammer up and down is pretty spot on for what it feels like. I, like you, thought it was just the drivers side based on how it felt. It wasn't until I was following my buddy on the highway and it happened that I found out it's BOTH front tires jumping off the highway, back and forth. Buddy said both tires were coming at least 6 inches off the ground. He said if I had seen it I probably wouldn't still be driving the truck lol.

Its really annoying because I never know when or if it's going to happen. I just know I wince a lot driving the damn thing on the highway now.

Good luck with yours, I'd take a good hard look at your track bar if you haven't already. That's still my prime suspect.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Mcstealth
Amateur
Default Track Bar

Hey David, jackhammer up and down is pretty spot on for what it feels like. I, like you, thought it was just the drivers side based on how it felt. It wasn't until I was following my buddy on the highway and it happened that I found out it's BOTH front tires jumping off the highway, back and forth. Buddy said both tires were coming at least 6 inches off the ground. He said if I had seen it I probably wouldn't still be driving the truck lol.

Its really annoying because I never know when or if it's going to happen. I just know I wince a lot driving the damn thing on the highway now.

Good luck with yours, I'd take a good hard look at your track bar if you haven't already. That's still my prime suspect.

Sorry for the late reply.

What would I be looking for if it is the trac bar? Being honest here as I am not a major diesel mechanic,

Old 09-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Mcstealth
Amateur
Default Please describe

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Generally, that indicates a worn track bar. If you still have the balljoint on the frame end of the trackbar, upgrading to the third gen style would probably take care of the issue for ya.
Would you give me a description of what I would need to look at to be sure of what you are describing.

Not a master mechanic and I bought the truck used.

Thanks
David

Old 09-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Mcstealth
Amateur
Default Me too, again

Still haven't had a chance to check the track bar. Truck hasn't done this since I was driving back up from the coast a couple of months ago. I don't think it's fixed I just haven't been driving fast enough on the highway for it to occur. I'm afraid to drive my truck any faster than 65.

Anyways, I have a different question and rather than start a whole 'nother thread I figured I'd ask it here.

I have a severe power steering leak on my truck. The steering gear box leaks, the power steering pump leaks, the hydroboost leaks and the lines weep.

Ive been accumulating the parts to replace the power steering system. So far I've got a new Borgeson High Flow pump, reman AC Delco hydroboost and brand new borgeson power steering lines. I'm about to order a redhead steering gear box from Diesel Power Products.

I want to replace EVERY component in the power steering system because I don't want to worry about the nasty burnt/dirty PS fluid contaminating my new expensive parts.

What all is in the system? Does it have a fluid cooler? I think after I get the steering box I'll have everything but I just wanted to come here and make sure! Thanks

I had the power steering pump replaced at a shop, that one started leaking, they warrantied the work and another pump installed. That second pump started leaking, and then the shop found a replacement dodge re-engineered pump style that has stopped the leaking. Don't ask me what the differences were in the pumps. I just know that is what they told me, and it has no leaked for two years.
David

Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a buddy sit behind the wheel. Turn the ignition to the "Off" position. (one click forward from Lock) Have him turn the wheel side to side, while you watch the trackbar. Particularly the frame end, that has the ball joint. They are notorious for wearing out quickly. Check both ends though, any significant movement at either end is bad.