Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Wheel bounce

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Nate_rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bounce

Alright guys, I've been active on this forum before with my half ton but I just bought a 2500 about a month ago and now I'm having a weird problem.

Truck is a 2002 2500 Cummins 6 speed 4x4 on 37" tires.
Wheels are Hummer H2 17's wrapped in 37x12.50r17 BFGs

It has Dodge Off Road extreme long arms, extreme duty track bar, steering box brace, shackle and Ubolt flip, sway away remote reservoir 2.5" coilovers on the front, synergy 2.5 shock towers, and sway away 2.5" remote reservoir shocks in the rear and all 09+ steering linkages.

When I am at speed on the highway and hit a large bump it may or may not send the front drivers side tire into a violent bounce. It has only done it twice but it is annoying.

It's not death wobble, the steering is very tight on this truck. Maybe an 1/8th of an inch of play in the steering wheel right to left.

Any ideas?

Old 07-12-2017, 05:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,359 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Generally, that indicates a worn track bar. If you still have the balljoint on the frame end of the trackbar, upgrading to the third gen style would probably take care of the issue for ya.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:06 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Generally, that indicates a worn track bar. If you still have the balljoint on the frame end of the trackbar, upgrading to the third gen style would probably take care of the issue for ya.
It's got the DOR heavy duty track bar, the frame end is a 7/8" heim joint.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nate_rs
It's got the DOR heavy duty track bar, the frame end is a 7/8" heim joint.
well, so much for that thought......

Are your shocks adjustable by any chance?

Old 07-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

well, so much for that thought......

Are your shocks adjustable by any chance?
They are not compression/rebound adjustable. You can play with the nitrogen pressures but that's pretty much it

Old 07-13-2017, 07:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Any way to check the pressures? How old ARE the shocks? (and how long do they usually last? Rebuildable?)

Do you get any vibration at any speed when just driving along?

Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 AM
Nate_rs
Professional

Any way to check the pressures? How old ARE the shocks? (and how long do they usually last? Rebuildable?)

Do you get any vibration at any speed when just driving along?
Shocks have about 40,000 miles on them, they're about 3 years old. As for how long they last, I'm not sure. They are totally rebuildable. They're about $400 a corner just for the shocks so I would think they'd last longer than 40k before needing a rebuild.

No vibration at any speed, truck is really smooth to 115mph+.

As for checking the pressures, I don't have a gauge that reads high enough. Just haven't bought one yet

Old 07-14-2017, 09:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I would check that first.

Aside from that, about all you can do is check the front suspension for any worn parts. If you don't find any.... not sure what to tell ya. I think 'death wobble' is generally the passenger side... so, yours is definitely an interesting problem.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Think I would check that first.

Aside from that, about all you can do is check the front suspension for any worn parts. If you don't find any.... not sure what to tell ya. I think 'death wobble' is generally the passenger side... so, yours is definitely an interesting problem.
Well I was driving back to North Texas today from the gulf coast. Going 75-80 following a friend. I hit a dip in the road and it started again. Slowed down and pulled over and my friend said both front tires were bouncing up in the air violently. 6 inches off the ground, back and forth. I guess this is closer to death wobble than I initially thought. Not sure what to do here. We just made it back and it didn't happen again, but I slowed our pace to about 65.

Gonna have to get the truck in the air and check everything out now that I'm back in town. Hopefully I can figure it out because this is getting pretty old.

It's just strange there are no other symptoms. Truck drives really nice up until that starts happening. It's really smooth and comfortable for a 2nd gen Dodge on 37s. Moreso than my buddies stock 2013 GMC 3/4 ton.

I'll check it all out and report back if I find anything

Last edited by Nate_rs; 07-16-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:20 AM
Nate_rs
Professional

I jacked the truck up and checked everything out. Ball joints have no play, tie rods are good. I grabbed one of the long arms and was able to wiggle it very very very slightly. The frame end adjuster lock nut was backed off a little.

That's all I could find. I haven't got the truck on the highway yet to see if that was it, really don't wanna get going fast enough to see and that not have fixed it.

I'm pretty skeptical that is actually the cause. I might have it aligned and try running my spare wheels and 37s and see how that does.