Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 02:40 AM
Flent
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Dust

Ok. I have a 2005 2500 CTD QC. I am noticeing allot of brake dust out of my front brakes. Now I know that front brakes do 70% of stoping with the rear like 30%. But I have not seen allot of people on here talking about heavy brake dust on these trucks. I have been watching my brakeing patterns to make sure I am not brakeing hard.

My question is,

Is this normal for these trucks?

Is their a fix for this problem and is it something to take to the dealer about??

Thanks guys in advance

Charles

Old 12-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brake Dust

mine dusts up pretty well also.

I checked my pads not long ago and they still look new

Old 12-01-2005, 03:17 PM
DCXgageman
Veteran

Not a diesel but my Power Wagon has about 600 miles of normal driving and the fronts are already dust covered. Doubt there is anything wrong if you're still unsure pull 'em apart for your own piece of mind.

I've had two vehicles with sticking calipers and still really could not tell, while driving, that anything was wrong. Only learned the problem when I pulled them apart, due to metal to metal grinding, and one side was barely worn (rear on the neon) and the other side was shot. My old truck's caliper stuck near the end of the brake pad's life. Swapped pads and away I went. About 5,000 miles later was getting grinding again. On side (front) shot, one side new.

Point being? Neither time did there seem to be excessive dust, but there was a definate problem.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Flent
Rookie

cool.
I do not feel as alarmed since others have noticed the same thing.

Thanks Guys
Charles

Old 12-26-2005, 09:15 PM
srenken
Professional

You guys must remember, Chrysler uses pads that will last, and that do not cause braking noises. In the end this means you have brake dust build up. You can replace the pads with ceramic pads to help with the dusting issue.

Scott

Quick Reply: Brake Dust