Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

FSM pinout wrong? fixing P0243 in an 05

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 09:16 AM
khnitz
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FSM pinout wrong? fixing P0243 in an 05

I have to error codes on my truck (a 2005 Ram2500) - P0243 and P0480. This summer, I replaced the wastegate solenoid, and the fan clutch wiring had to be re-worked because it got caught in the fan blade (that was the resultof a repair I had a shop do to replace the fan clutch the previous summer - the wiring worked its way into the path of the fan blade).

I still have both error codes, and the shop will still warranty the work on the fan clutch to correct the P0480 code, but I wanted to be sure there wasn't a complication from the wastegate solenoid that was a contributing factor.

Yesterday, I stepped through the wastegate solenoid P0243 diagnostic procedure from the FSM. I traced and verified every step of the path from the wastegate solenoid connector back to the fuse block (this is an '05, so it should be PRE-TIPM - it should not have the complicated TIPM from the '06 and later trucks).

When everything is assembled, I cannot measure from the fuse location (36) to the pin on the wastegate solenoid. However, I can measure a connection from the wastegate solenoid to the C5 connector (its Blue, not Black as the FSM states) and its pin 25 (not pin 26, as the FSM states). I can also measure a short from Fuse 36 to the C5 pin 25 socket on the fuse block. BUT, when everything is connected, I do not get a measurement from Fuse 36 to the wastegate connector pin. I unwrapped everything in the wiring loom alongside the battery, between C5 of the fuse block and C130 - what I found was a continuous wire for that length, too, which surprised me as the FSM says there should be a splice (S140) in that path.

I'm stumped...

Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 AM
khnitz
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To close this thread out, the FSM is incomplete/incorrect. There are two pins in the IPM C5 connector that connect to the load side of fuse #36 - pins 26 AND 25. Pin 25 feeds off to the AC Fan Clutch and Wastegate Actuator Valve - this is incorrect in the FSM...the FSM says it is pin 26...it is not pin 26, but instead pin 25 in my vehicle. The splice where that line splits is in the harness on the engine. There is no splice in the wiring along the side of the engine bay or along the firewall. Pin 26 feeds the HVAC control panel/rear defogger control power, and some other things.

The truck went back to the shop, and they found that the wiring to the Fan Clutch was also chafed at the aluminum guide that comes out and down from the Fan Clutch. The shop replaced the Fan Clutch (under their repair warranty), and I am free of error codes, now.

BUT, I now hear a noise when on the throttle starting around 2000 RPM and up. It's sort of like an alternator whine through the speakers (but it's not), and sort of like the sound you get when you use a blade of grass as a reed between your thumbs and blow. I'm wondering, now that the P0243 code is cleared and maybe my new wastegate actuator valve is working, if the noise is due to the cheap actuator valve I installed. Otherwise, there is something wrong with how they installed the new Fan Clutch, because that noise was NOT there before. I will start a separate thread here in the forum, if needed, to figure that one out (after some searching).

Quick Reply: FSM pinout wrong? fixing P0243 in an 05