Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2 issues that I need help with, thank you in advance!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Hodge86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 issues that I need help with, thank you in advance!

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4 X4 with the turbo diesel and a 6-speed manual transmission.
now the first issue is that when I am in two-wheel drive and I turn sharp to the left or right it feels like my front end is trying to engage and it hops my wheels. My steering wheel will jerk to the left and right depending on which way I'm turning. So if I am turning sharp to the left the steering wheel will slightly jerk to the right vice versa.
And the second issue I am having is when I'm driving in 2 wheel drive. My front end will do a clacking noise when I am in 3rd and 4th gear. It sounds like I have gears that are slipping but I have taken the pumpkin off and checked my gears and everything looks great nice and tight there's no chunks or shavings nothing everything looks beautiful. I have checked my actuator and everything seems to be functioning just fine.
Details on work done: I have had old ball joints replaced and had the front end about 80% rebuilt just to get it aligned. There is a slight vibration when I'm going 60 to 70 miles an hour. I have a brand new steering box installed. And I am losing for in my transfer case.
Thank you for your time and I hope you guys know something that I don't.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:55 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if the front axle ujoints are bad; when turning it will feel like the drivetrain is binding up... as if you are in 4wd turning on dry pavement. bad ujoints will also cause a vibration at highway speed.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Hodge86

Thank you! I'll definitely look into that.
My 4wd keeps engaging every now and then and that's when the wheels jerk when I'm turning. like just now pulling into a parking spot it started to jerk the wheel and now I can't get the transfer case into neutral or for high. Does that sound like an actuator problem or my transfer case itself is screwing up? And would that cause the wheels to jerk?

Old 09-15-2018, 08:27 PM
nibroc
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you might be partially in 4X4

Old 09-16-2018, 01:06 PM
Hodge86

I'm thinking that since my transfer case is messed up that the vacuum lines are getting proper air flow and that is causing my actuator to engage every now and then. Does this sound like a good theory?

Old 09-16-2018, 01:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,360 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Here is a nice diagram on how it is suppose to work...... Vacuum leaks, or bad vacuum switch may cause your problem....

Quick Reply: 2 issues that I need help with, thank you in advance!