Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Random Hard Starting, `05 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:49 AM
kww
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Hard Starting, `05 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4

Hi, buddy of mine named Dave without Internet has an `05 Quad Cab Ram 4x4 with the Cummins. He is experiencing random instances of hard starting with the truck.

His description is that most times, he has to crank for just a second or two and the thing fires up. What bothers him is that every once in a while, the truck requires more than a second or two of cranking to get started. Sometimes, it even takes two or three starts (he isn't willing to crank over for more than about 7-8 seconds at a time). He is aware that he needs to wait for the heating element to finish heating before cranking.

Has anyone had this issue, and any ideas???

Dealership was initally able to reproduce the problem but didn't have time to fix it so they sent him home. They suspected that pressure is bleeding off somewhere in the fuel system. When Dave brought the truck back to them, they (of course) couldn't reproduce the problem.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please advise.

Thanks,
Kris W.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Random Hard Starting, `05 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4

my first question would be what kind of power boxes does he have, and number two, how hard does he get on the throttle with them on full power.

it could be his lift pump is dieing, the high pressure valve has popped, or worse the CP3 pump is going out.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Corbett

Yeah i had the same problem ... then i blew my 6 injectors with water ... then i bought industrial injection injectors n then the dealer inforem me that they thought it was the injecotrs that caused the problem but now its a hole in #2 cylinder & when they had it running it was pourin oil out the exhaust so they thing i pulled dirt in thew my AFE intake orrrr the mechanic i bought the truck from said i blew the turbo sooo i donno if its covered under warrenty or its gonn ahave to be a 14,000 bill but its Camrose Dodge , Camrose Alberta Canada its there as we speak ..... & they've yet to do a compression test on it to see if all cylinders were good but assumed it was injectors ... so here i sit with a 48,000 truck with $3500 with front end work & $3800 Injectors with out a compression test & now they figure they have to pull it apart to figure out the problem but ... i asked about changin the glow plugs becuase at -9 it woulent start & had to be pluged in for 5 hours before it cranked over n start but they blamed it on weak injectors not they blame in on my intake suckin dirt in its a 2005 with 107,000 so you do the math ... tryin to **** me

Old 03-24-2007, 10:38 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: kww

Hi, buddy of mine named Dave without Internet has an `05 Quad Cab Ram 4x4 with the Cummins. He is experiencing random instances of hard starting with the truck.

His description is that most times, he has to crank for just a second or two and the thing fires up. What bothers him is that every once in a while, the truck requires more than a second or two of cranking to get started. Sometimes, it even takes two or three starts (he isn't willing to crank over for more than about 7-8 seconds at a time). He is aware that he needs to wait for the heating element to finish heating before cranking.

Has anyone had this issue, and any ideas???

Dealership was initally able to reproduce the problem but didn't have time to fix it so they sent him home. They suspected that pressure is bleeding off somewhere in the fuel system. When Dave brought the truck back to them, they (of course) couldn't reproduce the problem.

Thanks,
Kris W.
1 - Has he been daily driving this thing or does he tow at all with it? He may just need to clean that puppy out. Load up a trailer (at least a good 5-6K) and drop 32oz of PS into a 1/4 tank of fuel and find a few good hills and hammer down. Build some boost and EGT's and get rid of the built up carbon on the injector tips.

2 - Dealer sent him away because they were too busy.......BS! I woulda' been getting me a loaner vehicle or someone would be catching a A$$ whippin'. That's some lam customer service right there. (Don't get me started on this subject [:@])

3 - Does he have the invoice from when they reproduced it hte first time. If he has that, he has a record. Stealerships SUCK.

ORIGINAL: Corbett

Yeah i had the same problem ... then i blew my 6 injectors with water ... then i bought industrial injection injectors n then the dealer inforem me that they thought it was the injecotrs that caused the problem but now its a hole in #2 cylinder & when they had it running it was pourin oil out the exhaust so they thing i pulled dirt in thew my AFE intake orrrr the mechanic i bought the truck from said i blew the turbo sooo i donno if its covered under warrenty or its gonn ahave to be a 14,000 bill but its Camrose Dodge , Camrose Alberta Canada its there as we speak ..... & they've yet to do a compression test on it to see if all cylinders were good but assumed it was injectors ... so here i sit with a 48,000 truck with $3500 with front end work & $3800 Injectors with out a compression test & now they figure they have to pull it apart to figure out the problem but ... i asked about changin the glow plugs becuase at -9 it woulent start & had to be pluged in for 5 hours before it cranked over n start but they blamed it on weak injectors not they blame in on my intake suckin dirt in its a 2005 with 107,000 so you do the math ... tryin to**** me
1 - Welcome to DF!

2 - These trucks don't have glow plugs.....

3 - Were you drinkin' last night?

Old 03-24-2007, 01:12 PM
PRam
Professional

I thought I saw a TSB that listed hard starting, does that sound familiar with anyone else?

UPDATE. That TSB is for the 2006 models, sorry no help.
Here is the TSB # for those who want to check it out TSB18-003-06
paul

Old 03-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. . this one came from a while back. . . .

Old 03-24-2007, 06:29 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Drew

wow. . this one came from a while back. . . .
Damn, I didn't even notice that.....

I guess that's why I asked if he had been drinking last night.

Quick Reply: Random Hard Starting, `05 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4